1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

STAINLESS or NICKEL for my Bartolini Equipped Lakland 55-02

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DPG003, Dec 17, 2011.

1. DPG003

DPG003

Oct 15, 2011
    I'm trying to figure out what set of strings would work best with the Lakland/Bartolini system that came on my 2007 Lakland Skyline 55-02

I play with a pick most of the time, having recently switched over to bass from guitar. I prefer more of a slightly agressive P bass tone.

I know that many have described the Lakland/Bartolini system as polite or mellow sounding. I like the fat round sound that it produces but I would like to be able to cut through the mix a bit more. Didn't know if certain string sets could help me accomplish this.

I've read that the SS strings are going to be brighter than nickel. When I think bright I think slap tones which I'm not into. I play through an Ampeg PF500 head into 2 Genz Benz Neox 112's

Any recommendations? Thanks.

2. Stainless tends to be brighter, and more polite in the midrange. Nickels are the opposite. Either will sound great, but only you can decide which you like best- you'll just have to try them. We've all been there.

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    Many use the term "crunchy" to describe the tone you are after: i.e. "bright, edgy and aggressive".

If you get some DR Hi Beams, that will get you there. So will eq'ing (adding) your upper mids. I hope this helps.