1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stainless rounds for a 5502

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Chef, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm at odds with my 5502.
    It just seems to dang polite/tansparent to me, especially when compared to say a G&L 2500, or Lakland's own 5501.
    I typically use DA XL170 nickel rounds, which I find to be a comfrtable guage, nice meduim tenion, and a great combination of present but not overwhelming "round grind," clear but not clanky highs, and warm round lows.

I'd like to try some stainless rounds on the 5502 to get her to bark and grind a little more.

I like medium tension: not floppy, not stiff. I like chunky but not blurry or overpowering low end. I guess in this instance I'm looking for more presnt mids and highs than the Bart system for the 5502 provide on it;s own.

Help!

thanks, alan

2. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    How about DR Hi Beams or Fat Beams? Fat Beams sound like more what you want.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You know what I think :D

Hi-beams are perfect on there, but are a little lower tension than you might want in .45-.125 guages. Still I think their growly bottom end is the perfect -02 sound. If you add a touch of relief they should feel pretty close to the XLs, but they'll always have a little more give. The low B on the DRs are not perfect, but work well below the 5th fret.

Fat beams don't sound as growly, but are a little stiffer.

Lo Riders are probably the most direct replacement in feel for the XLs, but they are not as growly/grindy sounding as hi-beams. Still a lot more grind than XLs though.

LaBella Hard Rockin Steels have tons of low-mid growl and grunt. I'm not sure if thats what you want or if you've got enough low mids and are trying to add grind in the high mids. Still a great string and the best low B around.

LaBella Super Steps might work well for you. They're more of a high-impact sound like an SR2000 (which are also very good), the downside there is they require a full setup since they are exposed core.

Lets see what else have I tired on there ... I didn't like lakland steels at all, I never found a nickel string of any kind that I liked on it. I'd try rotosounds since they'd probably sound the best of all, but I'm afraid they'd kill the little frets.

4. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    IMHO, Lakland makes pretty good strings too. I think the are 45-128 and are perfict for the 55-02. They are in my top 3 list for strings. They sound good and last reasonably long, and are cheaper than most others. Try em you might like em. :)

5. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Chef, check out the SIT's either the Rock Bright Stainless or the Power Steels. They have medium tension and can provide the bark you might be looking for.

I really like them and they last quite a long time.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021