Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stainless Steel compression wounds and brass frets

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mashed potatoes, Jan 3, 2005.

1. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    I recently went to the local music store asking for a recommendation on strings. I asked for a Nickel roundwound with a mellow tone. They haned me DR Lo-Riders. They are a Stainless Steel compression wound string. I didn't even notice they were steel until i got home and put them on. that was a mistake. I've discovered they are a tad bright, but hopefully that will fade.

My question is, will these strings chew away at my brass frets even though they are "compression wound" (which supposedly is supposed to make them a tad gentler)? I rehearse daily with a jazz/funk group and I'd really like to be as gentle on my equipment as possible. I think it would really be a shame to see my brass frets get torn up just because i decided to try some new strings for a bit :meh:

2. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Nobody ever answered this persons question, and now they wait, angry at the world and plotting revenge. Good work people.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Well, Lo-Riders (and other DR's have "compression-windings" and are not "Compression Wounds or Pressure Wounds".

Multiple layers of windings are used in smaller diameter, something along the lines of 6 windings around the core on the E string where other companies will use 3 or 4. The smaller diameter windings are wound to a thickness of .108 and then the string is compression wound (tightened basically) to a .105 gauge string.

Smaller diameter outer windings are less harsh on frets than larger diameter outer windings since the grooves that the strings make are smaller...

If one had to make a visual example of this, its like having 5 pencils laid side to side compared to 50 tooth picks laid side to side (this is an extreme example but you get the idea I hope).

So if you had to use Stainless Steel and are worried about fret wear, using a string with smaller diameter outer windings would be the better way to go.

Keep in mind any metal to metal vibration is going to wear, so you will experience fretwear either way, but it may take X amount longer than using Y.

4. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado
    Lo-Rider are hex core round wound strings, not compression wounds, and the are available in both stainless and nickel. The store probably handed you what they stocked or if they had both in stock they should have asked you about your preference.

Stainless will be harder on your frets than nickel and the Nickel Lo-Riders will be mellower. If you want a compression wound string you should look into GHS Pressure Wounds or Ken Smith Compressors. The one caution I would give is that pressure wounds aren't the greatest for slap style if your using a lot of that.

Next time you need strings try bassstringsonline.com. The owner is a TB member, he's extremely knowledgeable about his products, offers special members pricing to TB members, and his service is next to none. Many of us use him as an exclusive source for our strings. Visit the website and check it out. :)

Edit: Oh I see Jason got to you before I did. He's the man you should be talking with.

5. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado
    Oh great work. A zombie thread. Have a little to much free time on your hands today? :rolleyes:

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    We were probably writing our replies at the same time! (I type very fast!).

Half way through my post I noticed the date, but figured... Hey this will be on the interwebs for evers!

7. knowles

knowles

Jan 28, 2010
    Toronto area
    Sorry.
    I'm only two, so I wouldn't have been much help back in '05.

8. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I wouldn't worry too much. Stainless steel and nickel both are harder than brass.
    Just to compare:
    Brass: 3 to 4
    Nickel: 5.5
    Stainless steel: 6 to 8
    If it comes to wear, the harder material always wears the softer one. There won't be much difference.

9. soulman969

soulman969

Oct 6, 2011
    Colorado

Cheers my friend. Hope all is well. :bassist:

10. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Thank you! Yes things are. Hope all is well over there too!

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

OP last posted in 2008. What a quitter!

12. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Well it lóòks like he unquitted himself.

13. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I'm going to get mashed tatters tonight!

14. knowles

knowles

Jan 28, 2010
    Toronto area
    I don't believe that, my friend. You clearly work 24 hours a day.

15. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    This is true.