1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stainless steel D'addario Halfrounds are no more, what now?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nuno.ka, Jun 2, 2011.


  1. nuno.ka

    nuno.ka

    Feb 11, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I love the stainless steel halfrounds I still have on my fretless. But these are already 3 years old and they don't make them in SS anymore. The new ones have a horrible feel.
    Does someone make a similar string to the old halfrounds?
     
  2. mastershake

    mastershake

    May 12, 2011
    i would say la bella 760ql quarter rounds. just a quarter of the wrap is grinded down unlike half rounds as you may know were nearly half the mass is shaven off thus the name 'quarter rounds'.
    theres also rotosound pressure wounds SS, ghs and kent smith pressure wounds made out of 'Alloy 52' 52% nickle and i think the other 48% usually varies but is mostly made of iron if im correct. ghs has ground wound string as well called 'brite flats' also made of alloy 52. another string would be sit silencers they use something called 'inverse string winding' were it only compresses the outside of the wrap leaving the internal structure intact. all these are different from the daddarior halfs in one way or another.
     
  3. mastershake

    mastershake

    May 12, 2011
    you could probably also sand down a pair rounds of your liking with a 400 grit (or higher) sand papper. youll
    need to buy a heavy gauge to compensate for the loss of mass. not sure how good of idea this is honestly(ill probaly make a thread for it) so if you do it do it at you own discrection. if you do decied to do it i would buy a dust mask so you wont inhale the shavings (if thats even possible) and do it where you are no where near your bass or the inside your home; but you probably already knew this. im sorry to have bombareded you with all this information, i got kind of carried away i guess, hopefuly all this was of some help in some way or another.
    best of luck

    edit note: apparently this is a really bad idea after all (not completely surprised) according to everyone here on TB.
    heres a link to my thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/good-idea-sand-down-your-strings-776613/
     
  4. Blues Cat

    Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

    May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Pure nickel is much easier on the grinding machine. SS will kill the grinding components way faster.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.