Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stainless steel frets?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Vic, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Pros? Cons? I typically use SS strings on my fretteds, and I was wondering about refretting at least one with SS frets vs the original nickel ones. They're a lot more expensive, but may be worth it for the longer life, right?

Anybody played on both? Opinions? Concerns? Raves?

2. would give a very bright tone vs the nickel ones

3. another thing to look into is the warwick frets. you can order them through danabgoods. i think its like 75 bucks or something, not too sure.

4. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, I heard warwick uses some kind of super hard bell brass or something. Not sure I want the gold tone, tho.

5. i would think it would give ~ the same tone as stainless, just a little darker.

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I refretted a few basses in a 6 month period about a year ago and considered this type of fret. Among the few luthiers I've brought this up with, they report that SS frets give a more brittle sound on guitars as well as being very, very hard on the tools used to cut, file, and finish them.

None of them did any work with SS frets on a bass, but the thing with the tools still applies. Warmoth has offered necks with SS frets for a while, but I can't recall anyone really going crazy how great they were.

To be taken with an even greater grain of salt, Ed Roman has a lengthy rant about their pitfalls on his site.

7. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Actually, it may seem silly, but I was referring to the look/appearance, not the sound, but I'm sure you're right. :)

8. ohh... :p

9. the warwick frets do make a difference.. they have a much better sound to 'em, especially when you play all slappety slap slap, they sound nice

10. That was actually my one serious complaint about the two Warwicks I had--I just didn't like the feel/sound of the bell brass frets. I suspect stainless steel frest would be the same. It's a little weird, because you'd think such a thing would be so subtle as to be imperceptible, but I definately found it a little grating.

Mike