Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stainless steel on Musicman Stingray

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassampegman, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Hi im using the Ernie Ball Stainless Steel slinkies on my musicman bass, am i likely to chew up the frets ??

I used to use nickel strings but the tone went too fast, ive tried Elixirs but they went dead after about a month.

I play fingerstyle rock but like a bright punk type twangy sound, with good low end. The s/s strings are a bit harsh sounding but seem to stay brighter for longer, any ideas on a better string choice with the Musicman Stingray.The Stingray is supposed to have a midrange growl to it but when your strings are dead it just sounds to much thump and not enough twang sounding.

Mart

2. I personally allways come back to ss strings on my Stingray for the excact same reason you mention. they may be harder on the frets, but I choose to play what I think sounds best, and then worry about frets when they need to be changed. They're going to be worn out a some point no matter what. If you want to use nickle I find XL's to be brighter than most. When they die, just soak them in alcohol overnight, and they'll be fine for weeks again.

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I also like the SS on my Stingtrays but I alternate between ss and DR nickel lo riders just to get a change up from time to time. I am sure if you play a lot with ss that they will do a number on the frets over the years but I wouldn't let that stop me from using them.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Use what sounds good to you, there isnt anything on a bass that cannot be fixed.