1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stainless Steel or Nickel Plated?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DiazRomero, Jan 16, 2012.

1. DiazRomero

DiazRomero

Jun 25, 2004
    Moss Beach, CA
    What's your preference/experience with stainless steel and nickel plated strings?:cool:

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    My preference has always been Nickel. Stainless strings feel rougher to me, and to my ears, have less mids in them. I did use stainless Rotosounds for a while, and liked them more than the Blue Steels I was using before them, but then I found out Rotosound made nickels about 8 years ago, and haven't bought a stainless set since.

3. Flounder102Bass

Flounder102Bass

Jul 6, 2008
    stainless steel strings are more brighter like for alot of slaping

4. I like stainless on my fretted basses and nickel on my fretless basses (whenever I have one, that is).

5. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Was always averse to stainless steel strings until I found DR and more recently, Fodera.

6. Montanamike

Montanamike Mike Atkinson

Dec 23, 2009
    Hill City, SD USA
    I play Sadowsky blue SS on all my fretted and nickel on my fretless. Some say that ss is too bright, I say that's what a tone knob is for.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I've never cared for SS strings. Most of the ones I've used have felt a lot rougher than their nickle counterpart, and they always seem to have stiffer tension (though that might be my brain playing tricks on me).

8. I prefer nickel. Less fingernoise with slightly warmer sound. Easier on the frets and fingerboard. I do, however, like a set of stainless strings from time to time.

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Have you played DR Hi-Beams? They are very smooth and have a lot less tension compared with Rotosounds Swing 66 and La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels. Hi-Beams are the best bass strings ever in my opinion.

10. I've used DR High Beams on a Modulus and loved the match with that bass but typically I'll play nickel or alloy on my Jazz Basses.

11. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Haven't tried the Fodera stainless steel sets yet then I guess? ;)

12. rocknrollmouse

rocknrollmouse

Jan 2, 2012
    UK
    I like nickels, for the warmer sound, also I find them more consistent over their life than ss - when ss are new they're very bright and twangy (tho' kind of fun) when played in loose this and the warm-up a bit.

Interesting that many say they find nickel smoother feeling than ss. When new, I find nickels definitely have a unique feel to them, that I don't quite know how to describe (although this quickly goes during playing in).

13. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    SS just sounds bigger

14. SS for me. im allergic to nickel and get bad contact dermatitis if i play a nickel strung bass/guitar.

good job i love the low biting grunt of SS then eh?

15. My favorite. All I use now.

16. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I use SS. They last so much longer, and I like how they sound. On my fivers I use La Bella hard rockin steels and Dunlop Trujillo's on my four string. I love the aggression of stainless steel strings.

17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

No, I haven't. Are they that good?

18. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    If Hi Beams are your favorite, definitely worth a try. Different character, similar to both Hi Beams and Fat Beams though. Better? You be the judge. :)

19. DiazRomero

DiazRomero

Jun 25, 2004
    Moss Beach, CA
    I've been using SS for about 25 years because I like the tone and I'm a creature of habit. I make adjustments with my tone knob for different songs and venues. I started this thread because I was getting ready to buy some new strings (I do that every couple of years) and was wondering what other bassists preferred and why. I appreciate all the various opinions. I guess it comes down to personal preference and how we define our own unique and individual voice.

20. Sorry, man, your comparison just doesn't work. You are playing two totally different styles and in doing so, play with a totally different technique in a different tonal range of the bass. You should play the exact same thing with both sets of strings to make the comparison. I can't tell the difference because there is too much difference...