Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stainless steel POLL which brands do you like?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Mar 25, 2005.

1. DR lo-riders

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. DR hi-beams

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. ernie ball stainless steels slinkys

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. d'addario ProSteels

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. LaBella deep talking stainless steels

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  6. GHS super steels

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  7. rotosound swing bass 66

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  8. kend smith master series

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. which stainless steel strings do you liek the most?????

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've played all but the EB and the Labella...

Pro Steels hands down best for me with the Smiths a close second.

Rotos were my mainstay for a long while but the late 80s-early 90s run where every 3rd set WOULDN'T be dead kinda turned me away.

The GHS are mostly horrid, I used them for 2 years but only because my guitarist had a deal and I was getting them for about $7 for a 5 string set

IMO/E

3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    My faves are R. Cocco strings. They sound great and are truly one of the most playable strings out there. I've tried all brands and nothing comes close. My second choice would be D'adarrio Prisms. Ken Smiths, they don't last for me, which is unusual for steel.

It would be nice if these guys could label the quality of steel they were using, then at least you could know you're paying for it.

4. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    The new D'addario Pro Steels are giving me good results, although I'm still adjusting to their firmer feel and more aggresive tonality. I have yet to run across a quality control type issue, so no "dead duds" yet...

You just never know...

I may very well not be able to adjust and end up going back to my long time faves, the Dean Markley SR2000 Will Lees.

Now there's a damn good SS string set! :D

5. which do you think are better?

are the ProSteels harsd?? is the low end nice and tight and the high end smooth?

6. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    From what I've been able to ascertain, the ProSteels have a more aggresive midrange, which is great in that it helps the bass stand out in the mix. The highs are what I'd call "all there", and the bass is BIG... all in all it's a wonderful sound.

It's the tension... the feel... of the set that I find myself having to "get used to". It is a "tighter", "firmer" feeling set, so in my case, I'm having to adjust some of my attack technique. Naturally this also necessitates some physical adjustments to the bass itself... you know, truss rod tweaks, action adjustments, etc.

Given time I may find that I like the ProSteels more... but right now, the standard I still find myself referring to is the one set in my mind by the Will Lees.

7. arnt sr2000's taperd at the bridge?

8. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    yup... SR2000's tapered... ProSteels not tapered.

9. iv had problems with taperd strings before, having overtones

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Does it chew up your fingers? On the last set of stainless strings I used (a long time ago) my fingers dragged when I plucked, because the strings were so rough. But these strings intrigue me, with the whole 'mid presence' thing, as I like a lot of mids for that gritty tone.

Thanks,
    Graeme

11. you were probably playing rotosounds then

12. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yeah, I think those were the ones. 'Swing Bass' if I'm not mistaken. After playing those, I switched to nickel, but I've been meaning to try steels again.

Graeme

13. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    These strings have that Roto-ish texture, but I haven't noticed that "Roto-Rash" you're talking about. As a matter of fact, I haven't suffered that "Roto-rash" with any other strings but Rotos... and since I haven't used them in over 20 years... heh... well, 'nuff said!

As for overtones off of the SR2000's well, yeah I guess they are more "alive" than other strings, but I find that I like that quality more often than not, and besides... I would think it's easier to EQ out certain overtones if you find them annoying than it would be to EQ in a "brighter, livlier" tone. You take the "good" with the "bad" so to speak. :D

14. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I voted for the DR Lo-Riders which are an awesome string. I also happen to like Dean Markley Blue Steels. They are quite comfortable to play as well. Plus they last a long time and have a good tone (IMO) that cuts really well through the mix.

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I hate teh Blue Steels, Love teh LoRiders- they are perfect and I love them. That first week ro two on the LoRiders caqn be rough when they have that new ring.

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    d'addario ProSteels

or the Blue Steels. I really can't use the DR's.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My personal favorite ain't even on your list and it's certainly a consideration!

LaBella Hard Rockin' Steel - For $18.50 per set thanks to bpstrings.com, I can get these strings that go on, settle in quickly and have a nice lifetime of about four months heavilly played. They've got the treble you look for in a stainless string and still have that nice deep fundamental, overall great response and wonderful customer service to boot.

Then I'll follow up in order with:
    D'Addario Prosteels
    Rotosound RS66

18. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    i just got a set that was tapered...a little too short on the E for a Long Scale set - the taper rests in the nut, throwing off the string height- otherwise Great strings.

19. I used to play DR loriders for a while but they were really expensive. Although they did last me a long time. Now I've switched to Labella super steps. I love them.