1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Stainless Steel strings on a acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TUEP, Apr 27, 2016.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I have heard of people doing this before, and I was wondering if it would give more volume to an AEB? My favorite stainless are the Rotosounds. Anyone tried this, would it damage anything like the bridge?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You're not gonna get more acoustic volume and they won't do any extra damage other than slightly faster fretwear like on any bass.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you're talking about plugged in volume, it's not gonna necessarily be louder but it'll have alot of high end zing. Maybe too much.

4. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    Ahhh...I was thinking unplugged volume. What is a good unplugged string?

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What are you hoping to do with unplugged volume? If you want to play along with one guitar player who's playing very, very quietly, phosphor bronze strings will have the most unplugged volume and allow you to be heard. Anything beyond that and you'll need a small amp.

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Exactly why I bought a battery-powered amp for those backyard barbecue or street-corner situations.
    m7gc38.jpg
    It allows to me to get the most out of this.
    n55x50.jpg
    D'Addario black tapewounds, of course.

Why struggle to be heard? Playing even the biggest/loudest acoustic bass unplugged simply won't allow the full expression that you can get with it plugged in, and man, I can get an incredible variety of tones out of my Exotica! Those switches are there for a reason.
    wkhkbp.jpg
    Tones I can't get out of any of my other basses, too.

ed morgan likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021