Stainless Steel - too bright?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Sep 10, 2003.

1. OK, just a general question, not necessarily opinion, but experience: I need new strings and stanless steel looks like a good choice. I love the crunch, and it's gonna be good for slapping. But what I'm concerned about is it's brightness... bright is good, but will it be too bright, generally speaking? Can I go from playing a crunchy Rush song to a mellow jazz line? I have an active bass so kicking up the bass or lowering the mids and treble wouldn't be a problem. But then, won't the sound lose "life"? Any suggestions are appreciated.
  2. I have the stock SIT stainless on my G&L L1500. They are incredibly bright, especially with the preamp engaged. Much of this gets lost when played through an amp with no highs. (Peavey TKO115).

I guess it depends on which amp/cabs you use.
  3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I use DR Stainless Steel Hi-Beams and have for along time. I like them needless to say and since my amp of choice is a Mesa 400+ the bright sound of the strings compliments the warm produced by the head. I found nickel to be a tad too warm. Basically, Bright head= nickel strings, Warm head= Steel strings has always made since to me. Never dug flat wounds:spit: .
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I've always used steel strings but tried nickel for the first time on my fretless Overwater. I just love the sound! On fretted basses I prefer the steel strings though, usually the music calls for more bite and it's good to have two different sound characters to work with. I've seen many say that nickel does wonders for bright basses, like a Modulus. Some also say nickel strings are more consistent over time, they don't change their sound character as fast as steels do when they get old.

I guess it's down to trial and error and your ears really. :)
  5. I love how they sound new, especially high beams on my G&L
  6. Well I got some Lo-Riders, and I'm happy. The change wasn't as drastic as I expected, just very bright and poppy. I like em. Obviously kicking up the highs and mids isn't the best idea when it comes to these strings, just too much treble. But with the EQ flat, it's great.