1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Stainless steel uncoated strings that last long

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ObeyDaRiffness, Mar 27, 2017.

1. ObeyDaRiffness

ObeyDaRiffness

Sep 25, 2016
    Hi. Looking for some real bright yet balanced strings that last long. Something like really fresh Slinkys and Roto 66. Nickel or coated is just not an option, unless you find one that sounds almost like steel (like Slinkys but long lasting, maybe coated Slinkys will be bright enough, but can't find sound clips). I was gonna go with D'Addario Flex Steels since they sound good, are cheap, realatively easy to find and I've heard that they last long, which does make sense considering their flexibility, but I don't know if it's actually true.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    My favorite SS strings are Sadowsky Blue labels. They sound great, and I get exellent life out of them.

heinze, ColdEye and Edgar like this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    FlexSteels are no longer made.

Dunlop SuperBright Steels are the strings you seek.

Dunlop Super Bright Bass Strings from Bass Strings Online

4. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    A second vote for the Dunlop SB's, BUT get the medium gauge if you don't like a super flexible string. The light gauge was too loosey goosey for me. But they sound great and last a long time.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  5. Prosteels have a good lifespan. The SIT RB steels I've used probably kept their new string zing the best out of what I've tried lately.

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. Ive been getting great life out of a set of DR Fatbeams? I would second the Dunlop SB Stainless Steel as well as the Daddario Pro Steels. The Flexsteels did last a long time but as a previous poster said they have been discontinued.
    Hope this helps,
    Brent

Zermelo, eriky4003 and jwilson67 like this.
  7. ObeyDaRiffness

ObeyDaRiffness

Sep 25, 2016
    The what steels, sorry?

8. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    "Real bright yet balanced" - Give EB Cobalt Rounds a try. Your description of what you are looking for is pretty much what those strings offer. They last a long time for me as well.

9. ObeyDaRiffness

ObeyDaRiffness

Sep 25, 2016
    Dunno... I thought they were far too modern sounding for me actually, they're mostly for pick players and slappers and I play 70% fingers, and people say they die quickly... I prefer them to steels with a pick tho. I've also heard they tear up frets. But they might pair good with my bass since it's a bit too dark sounding and it needs some highs

jwilson67 likes this.
  10. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    Everyone's body chemistry is different. I've never had the dying quickly issue with them. They don't tear frets up any more than a steel string would. I haven't seen any wear issues on my Carvin.

DR Fat Beams (round core) are also a great string as are the Low Riders (hex core). DR's are known for their longevity and balanced sound.

Rickter, Edgar and Zermelo like this.
  11. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    I found Dean Markley rounds lasted a good deal longer than Rotos. I've not used the Markleys of late so I have no info on whether that is still correct.

12. ObeyDaRiffness

ObeyDaRiffness

Sep 25, 2016
    Heard those. Don't like em at all as a steel round. Good pressurewound tho.

13. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    Here's a great video of Prosteels. They seem like they might be the string for you.

14. I think my DR Fat Beams might be lasting a little longer than my DR Hi Beams, but both have treated me very well.

15. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Newtone Strings with round cores, they make stainless steels too. Platinum or Diamond series. Lasts ages. You can order any gauge from him. Or LaBella.

16. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Dunlop Superbrights stainless for really great tone which ages well over time. Balanced feel/tension.

or Elixir stainless for tone which lasts and lasts and lasts. Smooth feel due to the coating.

mdogs and Nev375 like this.
  17. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I've found that DR Fat Beams last quite a long time. For me, probably at least 2 months, playing gigs every weekend.

Edgar, BrentSimons and Zermelo like this.
  18. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Not sure why you are against coated strings. I get over a year out of Elixer steels. And they sound as bright as uncoated steels to my ear.

19. ObeyDaRiffness

ObeyDaRiffness

Sep 25, 2016
    They're not as zingy and clacky as i want them. I play mostly thrash metal these days.

20. I've been married to the DR Fat Beams for a few years. They sound great from new to almost-dead, very well balanced, superb B string (I use 45-130s). The best of all: "dead" Fat Beams sound just great on my P.

Edgar likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021