Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stainless Steels with red silk?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tplyons, Jul 14, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay, the strings that came on my "new to me" Marcus Miller Jazz feel like steels, I actually hurt after playing them (since I've switched back to nickelwounds) and they're nice and bright sounding. Not D'Addario, all brass ends.

Can anyone think of steels with red silks at the headstock end? None at the ball end.

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Yamaha-branded strings have red silk at the ends, are rough-ish steels, and plenty bright, but if the bass is "new to you" I would have trouble believing it's them, as they're pretty hard to find retail.

So all the details fit, but the odds of it actually being them are pretty slim. Weird...

3. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Rotosound SS RS66 Swing Bass are really bright, very rough and have red silking at the top. They also have it at the bottom though so it's probably not them. That's weird I usually see more strings with silking at the bottom and not the top than the other way around.