Stainless stell: DR still in the house?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Davidoc, Sep 8, 2004.

1. It's been a while since I played my bass, but I've recently started again now that I have it with me in college. I want to get new strings sometime in the near future. I used to use DR hi-beams, as I need an agressive stainless steel sound.

Is DR still the way to go for steel?
  2. Of course! Low Riders are grungy, and sharp sounding, and Hi Beams for slightly brighter and less harsh. Either way, DR is the way to go for steel strings IMO.
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Hi-Beams: round core

Low Riders: hex core = more tension
  4. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I'd say so. You could also try La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels or D'Addario's ProSteels.

5. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    I know the DR's are in favor with a lot of players, but they seemed to lose their zing very quickly and didn't really have the punch I was looking for. For stainless steel, I settled on D'Addario Prisms and have been using them for the last three years. I'm quite happy with them.
  6. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Prisms have been discontinued and have been replaced by ProSteel. Cheaper and, supposedly, better.

7. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004

Yessssss!!! Unbeatable!!!, I used nothing but Hi-Beams prior to them and was really suprised at the difference, last a little longer, cheaper, note fundamentals are 2nd to none.