Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stains

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jake_tim, Jul 4, 2005.

1. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    i was wondering....what woods look better stained, i am about to build a bass, but i dotn want it painted. i think im just gonna stain it. but i need to know a good stain to use, and what woods look good stained. i also need to know exactly how to do it, ive never stained before. any help will be appreciated. Thanx

-Jake

2. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    get something with a good grain. that's what's important. Poplar, alder, plain rock maple, all look S**ty stained, because they're boring. Ash, Oak, and any type of figured maple all really look good because the stain doesn't just darken the wood, it brings out the grain.

as for doing it: easy as pie. get a rag, dip it in the stain and wipe it liberaly over your project and let it sit for a few minutes. the longer you let it sit, the darker wook (depending on the stain obviously. a natrual stain can only get so dark you know...) after a few minutes, take a dry rag, and wipe off the excess, and voila, it's done being stained: onto polyurithayne. :D