Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stambaugh Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KJung, Apr 10, 2005.

1. I've been a Fodera player (among other basses) for many years. I love the Fodera sound (Pope preamp and Aero or Seymour dual coils) but always found the Fodera necks big since I have relatively small hands. I just purchased a bass made by Chris Stambaugh. This bass has Aero dual coils and the four band Pope preamp. It is very well made, relatively inexpensive for the very high quality, has a very knifey/small neck profile, and sounds somewhat Fodera-ish. The maple neck has very large wenge stringers with a nice ebony board... very punchy and really solid. I was not familiar with his products until I say this bass on the Luthier's Access Group website. It's still there (it's the 35" scale bass listed as one of the 'Stambaugh Twins' on the home page of the site, if anyone wants to take a look. Anyway, for you small-hand people that are looking for that 'New York' type sound, it might be an option for you.

2. Congrats and welcome to the Stammie club! Well, actually I'm almost there. I'll have my new DCNT5 in a few weeks. I thought about shelling out for a pope pre but ran out of $$$$!

3. Hello and thanks. You will really like the bass. His workmanship is amazing, and his set-up ability is awesome. There's nothing more frustrating than buying an expensive, custom made bass, and having to have frets filed, etc. to get the action where you want it. Chris's fret work and set-up are amazing. The bass sounds great acoustically, so I'm sure any preamp you get will sound wonderful. Let us all know how you like it when it arrives.

4. Thanks! I saw on your profile that you have one of Jerzy's basses. They look beautiful. Could you describe the sound and feel.... are they bright and 70's funk oriented or more thick and mid-rangy? Are the necks thin or fat, etc. I've been looking at some of his basses on Dan's site (LAG) and they just look amazing. Is the balance good in standing position, etc., etc. It looks like he's using new proprietary pickups... any experience with those.

Thanks in advance :hyper:

5. Thanks and I will! I'll have pics and as much of a comprehensive review as I can.

6. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    You'll love it! I got mine last summer, and can't bring myself to play anything else.

I went for a wider fretboard, and as thin a neck as possible (I've got small hands too!)

I love mine!

Here's a (somewhat gratuitous) pic:

7. Hey Funkmuffin,

Is that a piezo bridge?

8. Hey Kjung,

Can you post some pics here of the new Stambaugh? I would love to see some more detailed pics if you don't mind! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...you asked for it...my bass is a 6-string neck thru make with a walnut body, zebra wood top, thick wenge tone plate sandwiched between the two, and a 5-piece wenge/bubinga neck with a THICK ebony fretboard. It even has an Ebony nut and a walnut cavity cover! The electronics are 2 Bart soapbars with a 3-band eq, active/passive selector, 3-band mid selector, and coil tap. The neck is shaped similarly to an MTD 635, slightly tapered on the treble side, overall thin. The string spacing is "average", also the same as an MTD 635. It's strung with Labella Slappers (roundwound steel core with a nickel wrap). On my bass, the wenge tone-plate is thicker than most newer models I've seen, and the volute on my bass is smaller than most newer models.

Some things that stand out about MY bass is it's as harmonically rich as any bass I've ever laid my hands on. It's clear, yet warm; punchy, yet smooth. It plays like buttah! It's very rich in the mids, very dark sounding.

Jerzy's basses generally now feature his proprietary pickups which tend to be much hotter than Barts. I actually prefer the hot output of his pickups and have been trying to get them to replace my Barts. It's a preferential thing. Also, Jerzy now features a proprietary bridge, though conceptually it's a 2-piece version of the same bridge on my bass. I don't know who makes it, but it's adjustable in every direction: front-to-back as well as side-to-side.

Jerzy's construction is absolutely top-notch. I've owned this bass for 2 years and have yet to find a flaw (that I didn't create, myself:() His construction is consistent, top-notch, and absolutely flawless. There are certain design features that are clearly unique to Jerzy: the thick Ebony fretboard (which is characteristic of over a dozen Jerzys I've played). In addition, the neck-through models usually feature a wenge tone-plate between the top and core woods, which is something I personally believe adds to the rich mids and clarity found in his basses.

I'm the first person to tell you a thick ebony fretboard can contribute to a slightly neck-heavy bass, so if that's an issue for you, you may need to think twice. But, Jerzy's design has a large upper-horn, and the bass balances fairly well, and presents little-or-no neckdive when standing with the bass strapped on.

I'd buy another, in a heartbeat, though there are other basses that I'd want one of before I have two Jerzys: as soon as I have one MTD 535 and one US Lakland Joe Osborn 5-string, I'm buying another Jerzy!

Anyway, you asked for it.:D

10. Thanks for asking.... I'll post a few in the next day or so. In the meantime, you can get onto the Luthier's Access Group site. Dan still has the picture on the site. There's actually a link to the pictures on an ealier comment on this thread.

11. Thanks for the very good description. It sounds like a cool bass. I am a little sensitive to a bass being neck heave (I do a lot of 4 to 5 hour gigs). That will be something to watch out for if I end up ordering one. I have a wonderful MTD 535 that I've had for about 8 years... wenge neck and board, swamp ash with a 5A quilt maple top. It's a great bass. One word of warning on the MTD's... I've played a lot of them through the years and each one sounds VERY different to me... the wenge/swamp ash/maple top combo has the 'classic' MTD sound... very wide with very sizzly-airy high end (8K+) and a very extreme deep bottom. Some people love that sound... some absolutely hate it. I like it myself, but that wood combo can sound great with some amps (I LOVE it through the Thunderfunk) and just way over the top with other amps. I had one with an Ash neck and maple board but didn't like the extreme mid punch of that combo. Anyway, more than any other bass out there, I find huge variations in tone from bass to bass (primarily due to all the difference wood combo's that Mike uses)... so make sure to play the wood combo you are interested in before ordering!

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Definitely watch out, but don't rule out.;) It's a bass you HAVE to try before you say no...they are on par with the best, IMO.

On the MTDs, that's been my experience, too. I've played probably 20 or more over the past few years, and no two sound alike. Some are simply phenomenal, while others simply don't do it for me. It's one bass, because it's *so* "custom" (for lack of a better word), I wouldn't special order one...rather, I'd pick it off the shelf so I know what I'm getting. Over the weekend I had the opportunity to check out a 10th anniversary thru-neck 535. It had a wenge neck, burl top, and ash body. It was a truly remarkable instrument, perhaps one of the most complex, tonally, I've heard from Mike. Because it was a neck thru, it didn't have quite the same harmonic content in the attack and sounded a bit more smooth. It was definitely very interesting.

Interestingly, the string spacing on the 535 cramps my right hand a bit, whereas the 635 feels a little more natural. I think the spacing was too wide on the 5, for me. I'm strictly a fingerstyle player.

Anyway, as far as your Stambaugh goes, congrats! It's quite possibly the best Stambaugh I've come across, and I've always been a fan of his.:D