1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Stambaugh Custom 5 String - Onboard Midi - Roland GR-20

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by swpyne, Apr 15, 2015.

1. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Price:
    See Ad
    Strings:
    This is a beautiful custom built Stambaugh 5 string. It's about 10 years old and has a few minor dings and dents but overall it's in great shape. Because of the spalted maple top it's hard to see any of the wear. As far as I can tell, the bass has absolutely no issues of any kind. All the electronics work as they should and so does the truss rod. It's one sexy instrument for sure.

Tone-wise it delivers nice warm lows and punchy midrange. With the Aguilar preamp, the unique pickup configuration and switching you can dial in a wide array of voices. It's really great for finger style players.

This bass not only has great analog sound it can also drive any 13 pin compatible Roland device such as a GR-20 Synth. I recently had a new Hipshot bridge with Graph Tech piezo saddles installed on it and all 5 strings are tracking very well with a nice even and balanced output.

I am now including a Roland GR-20 Guitar/Bass Synth so it will come with everything you need to start using it's midi capabilities right out of the box

Here are the specs as best I can tell you.

Top: Spalted Maple
    Body: Mahogany
    Neck: Maple (neck through with ebony and mahogany stringers)
    Fingerboard: Purpleheart
    Inlay: MOP F Clef (at the 12th fret)
    Pickups: Bartolini (J and Soapbar)
    Pickup Covers: Purpleheart
    Preamp: Aguilar OBP-3 (18 volt)
    Outputs: Standard 1/4" and 13 Pin Midi
    Analog Controls: Master Volume, Treble, Mid (push pull frequency select), Bass
    Mini Toggle Switches: 3 Way PU Selector, Mid Frequency Select, PU Coil Tap
    Midi Controls: Midi Level, 3 Way Select (bass only, bass/midi, midi only), Midi Patch Select Buttons
    LED: Red (when midi is active)
    Hardware: Black Hipshot
    Knobs: Ebony
    Straplocks: Recessed Dunlop
    Scale: 34"
    Nut Width: 1 7/8"
    String Spacing: 17mm to 18mm (adjustable)
    Weight: 8 Pounds 15 Ounces (just under 9 pounds)
    Midi Cable: 15' Roland 13 Pin
    Bass Synth: Roland GR-20 w/Power Supply

$2,199.00 Plus Shipping

PayPal is welcome!

I might consider a trade for a similar value 34" 5 string that weighs 9.5 lbs or less. I will consider fretless or fretted basses with maple, rosewood or ebony boards. Less expensive trades + cash will be considered as well. If you have something to offer up please open a private conversation and we can discuss it further.

Trade value is around $2,600.00

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0995.JPG IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0996.JPG IMG_0997.JPG IMG_0998.JPG IMG_0999. IMG_1001. IMG_1002. IMG_1003. IMG_1008.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    mophead likes this.
  2. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Man... this thing is off the charts. Once upon a time I owned a Stambaugh that was incredible...

3. Phillip B

Phillip B Chilling in the Sunshine State!

Aug 3, 2014
    Tampa Florida
    Snazzy!

4. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    It is indeed. Maybe I'm one of the minority in that I have used a midi synth with a bass off and on for years. It's really quite amazing what you can do as far as filling out the sound of a duo, trio or even a quartet. Being able to apply string patches along with the bass part really turns some heads in the audience. I can't tell you how many times after a show where I've used this rig that a member of the audience comes up to me and asks, "how did you do that"? It's always fun to show them that I was doing it along with the bass.

Anyway, I have found that the now discontinued Roland GR-20 Guitar/Bass Synth Pedal is an ideal mate for a bass like this one. I have seen them go used for as little as $150.00 recently on Ebay. The combination of this bass and a GR-20 will open up amazing creativity and give you lot's of new ideas when it comes to live performance. Basses like this don't show up very often and this is a particularly nice one. Some adventureis bassist really needs to grab this one while it's available. You will just never know how cool this can be until you give it a try.

5. Phillip B

Aug 3, 2014
    Tampa Florida
    I actually have a "lesser version" of this, the Brian Moore i5, a neck thru with Bartolinis and a built in piezo bridge.

I used it extensively with a Roland V-Bass to do the type of things you said, but with no tracking delay.

In any event, having all the stuff built in like yours makes a huge difference in usability!

6. Phillip B

Aug 3, 2014
    Tampa Florida
    Not to hijack your thread (cause I sure would rather have yours instead!!) but here's mine: HalfBodyBass.

7. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    Great TB'er, and NICE piece too

8. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Width at the 24th fret, please?

9. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    The 24th fret measures 2 7/8" across.

10. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Danke.

11. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    GR-20. I am now including this Roland GR-20 Guitar/Bass Synth with this bass so it will come with everything you need to start using it's midi capabilities right out of the box!

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  12. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Up for a GREAT deal on a custom midi capable 5 string and a legendary Roland synth unit. Open the door to new and unlimited creativity!

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  13. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Some interesting trades have been offered up but I really need to try to hold out for a cash sale.

14. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    SOLD!