stambaugh custom.. wood choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 19, 2006.

1. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i decided i want a bolt on 4 string stambaugh custom. i have a custom body shape i'm sketching up, and its going to have an aero PJ(P pup in a J body)/J/J config with the two j's grouped together in the "sweet spot", which can be wired series/parallel/singlecoil, and the pj near the neck. the j farther from the bridge will have exposed poles and be a little brighter, while the one near the bridge will be darker. i plan on using passive wiring, with a 5 way selector switch (like a strat) and volume (w/ switch) and possibly an active mid boost/fat control from demeter (if aero) or villex's passive mid attenuator (if villex). i don't think i want an active eq. leave that up to the amp.

but anyway... as far as my question, i was wondering what wood(s) to use as far as body and neck. i know i love and want the top to be bird's eye maple with a darker lamination in between the top and body. as far as neck, etc, i'm at a loss.

for tone, i need to get something thats punchy and driving, yet not too aggressive and harsh. basically, a versatile body wood. mahogany or black walnut are probably safe bets, i would assume.

for the neck, it'll be a five piece with ebony fingerboard. maybe... maple/walnut/mahogany/walnut/maple. or something.

any suggestions?

2. Sounds like a wild bass! I have a 5 piece maple neck with wide wenge stringers and an ebony board, and it's great. It's very, very stiff, with no dead spots and it doesn't move at all. It's a great combination of woods for the neck... it looks good (the light maple with dark wenge), and seems to work great.

As I'm sure you've read on various threads, Chris does beautiful work... you will love the bass.
  3. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    Villex's mid attenuator is built into the picups but he does make a mid booster... is that what you are thinking?
  4. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Talk to Chris Stambaugh about what you want...he has a talent for putting together the right woods to get the tone you're after. Good luck...Chris WILL build you a fine instrument.:)
  5. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well, i would have the villex booster with his circuitry if i chose those

and the demeter mid thing if i went with aero

kinda didn't explain that right.