Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stambaugh fretted pix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Copycat, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    When I visited recently I saw some Stambaugh threads and realized that I had never posted the pix of my fretted four string Stammie, the companion to my Stambaugh fretless with the walnut facing. Here are the particulars: Tasmanian eucalyptus burl facing, African mahogany body, bound birdseye maple board with black position dots, Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, Jazz C neck profile, Hipshot hardware and knobs. I'll post a couple more in a sec. More amazing work from Chris.

Attached Files:

2. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    And a couple more. Some of these were taken with the flash, others without. I took the back both ways but liked this shot of the back with the flash on better because it really brings out the ribbon figure in the African mahogany.

Attached Files:

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Very nice.
    I love my Stammie fretless 4-string.

4. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Sweet!!!

Copycat, I've been waiting to see your new Stambaugh and it is beautiful! I recently discovered (upon the arrival of my Stambaugh) that these are way more than just beautiful to look at. The balance, playability and sound are as amazing as his woodwork.

Congrats on an awesome bass!

By the way, I posted a couple of finished pics of mine a few days ago if you want to check it out!

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That's a yummy burl. Congrats. :)

7. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Unity, I think it was your post and Mark's that made me remember to get some pix of mine up on here. I just sent a huge number of images to Chris, over a dozen, as he forgot to snap some images of it before he shipped it to me. These are pretty low res, so they don't do justice to it at all. I absolutely love both of my Stambaugh basses and can't believe what Chris charges for these beauties. And they're not just gorgeous, true that. They're light as can be (even my fretless, which has a northern ash body with a walnut facing), balance wonderfully and play like a dream. No more GAS for me. I've found the perfect basses for my needs. They have the looks, feel and tone I've been after for some time.

8. Chris starts my bass in less than 2 weeks. :hyper: I'm dying! I have to say that I have not found one person who has a complaint about his work. Actually, he might have been working on mine already except for Mark's 8 string. :D I'm in for a DC5. One day I may move to a 6 Mark! ;)

BTW~ Have you guys seen any of the Thuya burl in person? I have a feeling the pics on the website are too light or dark.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Oops!! Sorry..

Mine's been in the works since last September.. Had a devil of a time deciding on the top, LOL!!

Got some pics here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167860

:smug:

10. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I've not seen the thuya in person but it looks like Chris works with it pretty often. My eucalyptus burl was a $100 upgrade, and I think the thuya was more expensive but I'm not certain. I wanted a light wood facing on this one to contrast with the dark walnut on my fretless, and since I've never owned a bass with burl figure I really wanted burl on this one. Given all that, the eucalyptus was a great choice. Maybe Chris can give you a sense of thuya's lightness/darkness relative to some other woods you'd be aware of, placing it on a scale between two more common ones, for example. But you're right. Pictures never capture it perfectly.

11. Yeah, I talked to him about it. I've had a helluva time deciding woods. It's all sooo beautiful and sparkly... my precious!

12. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Chris picks some great pieces. Not only beautiful tops but wood with great tone that's lightweight, too. Even the northern ash that constitutes the body of my fretless is incredibly lightweight. I always thought northern ash = boat anchor. Not the ash on this bass. Chris selects just the right stuff. I'm sure you can't go wrong no matter what you have chosen or will choose. Can't wait to see it.

13. Thanks. I looked and looked for any dirt online about Chris. A bad review or anything and could not find jack. I found one negative comment in a review and it was exactly what the guy asked for and he even said so much. I can't wait. At this point I'm looking and Thuya burl facing over the NT double cut. Mahogany body. African I think. And macasser ebony on the fret board. Matching head stock and a million knobs I'm afraid. Besides the Barts and preamp, I am getting a piezo bridge as well. And a second 1/4" out. I play with Overdrives, whah's, and synth pedals and want to run an independent out so I have a wet signal and a seperate dry signal. I do more studio work than gigging although that is about to change. That's the only thing I'm still worried about. I think it will be like 7 knobs and two or three toggle switches. Yikes!

14. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Jay:

Can't wait to see it. Check out the Q-Parts mini domes. If you have a ton o' knobs, that might be one way to go to accommodate the knob forest. They're downsized a bit (qparts.com gives exact mm measurements--depth, width and height), and since they work with split shaft or solid shaft pots (they have a brass sleeve that can be left in or removed depending on the shaft of the pot), that might be a good way to get maximum knobs into that somewhat limited real estate. WD Music products offers a lot of different Q Parts options, and if you're a supporting member here, you should get a discount there. I sent Chris the knobs I used on my fretless, which are no longer available. They were anodized aluminum with O rings, but the guy who made them is no longer in business. They have conical tops and are really cool. Definitely post some pix when you get your Stammie. And yes, I checked here, there and everywhere and Chris gets high marks all around. No bad reviews save that one you mentioned, and as you said, Chris was just doing what the guy wanted. Enjoy the custom process and the bass, when done.

15. Hey Copycat,

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out.

peace and chicken grease!

16. Hey Copycat, (Or anyone in the know)

Do you know what Chris charges for wood knobs and PU covers? I sent an email to him asking, but until he starts on my bass, I don't expect him to get back to me right away. Just curious if you know or not.

I looked at qparts. I may have to go that route. I did some searching and could not find anything like qparts online. Are there any other websites with knowbs like these out there?

Thanks a million! :D

17. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Never asked Chris about wood knobs. THG does a great job with wood knobs in a variety of choices (you probably have a banner ad for THG on the page now). I have seen Chris do pickup covers, I'm pretty sure. Good luck with it. Q Parts are the nicest metal knobs I've found since they offer such a variety of acrylic, shell and other tops in different styles. And when I was having Chris make my first Stammie I searched high and low for interesting knobs. There aren't too many unique or unconventional choices out there, unfortunately.

18. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    My wood covered (by Chris) Aero pickups were an upcharge but I think that cost was all in the Aeros themselves. I do not think there was an upcharge for my Ebony knobs. It's difficult to say for sure because I think he factored in all of my upgrades together to determine the upcharge. Generally speaking though, everything I specified was a standard option without an upcharge. I did pay extra for Birdseye maple neck, Aero pickups and a full facing bookmatched top. It's safe to say that his upgrade prices are way lower than anyone else out there. Many builders upcharges cost more than my entire bass with the same features like black hardware, ebony fingerboard, wenge neck laminates, 12th fret inlay, Graphite reinforced neck, hipshot bridge and 3 band preamp.

Here's a couple shots of my knobs & pickups

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167096

His woodworking completely blows my mind.

Disclaimer: I cannot speak for Chris on his pricing. All I know is, I got so much bass for the money that I was worried he didn't make any money building mine. That might make him change his pricing a bit! Of course, people have been wondering for some time how he can charge so little for such a great product!

Good luck with yours and don't forget to post some pictures!

Chad

19. Yeah... thanks guys. When I decided it was time for a nice bass (as I am currently playing an ibanez) I looked at modulus and fodera and warwick. All of the usual suspects. For the price I thought that going custom would not/could not be that much more. :eyebrow: Boy was I wrong! Then I found Chris. I liked his philosophy on his home page and his prices were nice. I always wanted a guitar with a beautiful top. Always looking at PRS's. Anyway, I had fallen in love with the bass all over again and wanted a top that people would cream over. I thought that would be an upcharge and I think I am paying a little more for the top but not much. And I could have gone with other really nice tops without the upcharge. I had the same experience with having quite a few things wrapped up into one upcharge including Piezo bridge with additional preamp (That makes 2 in the bass) an nice burl top, awesome woods for the neck, 3 batteries in the back. My own 12th fret inlay of a dragon (same as a tattoo I have, nice touch) and other the other nice touches he does. I thought to myself, what's wrong with the basses? I looked and looked for any bad reviews or anything of that sort. All I found were quite a few owners who could not talk enough about the tone, feel, overall quality, price and great business practices that he has. All comparing his work to $3000 to $5000 basses. So I was sold and my custom bass is costing less than the PRS guitars I always wanted. Can't beat that! Except for the wait. And I needed someone like Chris to tell me or help me figure out how to get what I was looking for in the bass as well. :hyper:

20. That is a very sweet bass. Me likey.

One question though.... Is it just the pics, or are the router cuts for the pickups pretty sloppy?