Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stambaugh Owners, Sound Off!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mark beem, Jul 19, 2004.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'd like to know your thoughts, opinions, good and bad experiences, etc.. about Mr. Stambaugh and his instruments...

I'm currently considering him to build my next bass, but have never had the opportunity to play any of them.

Thanks.... :)

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Mark,

Chris carved a new neck for my Yamaha BB1500a so I could have a 35" scale, and 3/4" spacing at the bridge. He also put on a new bridge, upgraded the pickups and preamp (Aero Type 1 / Bart 3-band, with passive tone control), and added a hipshot d-tuner.

The neck is great -- the headstock is a 3+1 (which I requested), looks really cool and doesn't neck dive at all. In fact, the bass is MUCH lighter than it was. There's a center laminate which is either rosewood or purpleheart, and a rosewood fingerboard - very stable - I've had the bass since the (April I think) and it hasn't moved. It feels really awesome too.

All other workmanship was great, and Chris was good about answering emails/phone calls throughout the process. Oh, and his prices seem reasonable.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and i'll see if I can answer them.

-Aram

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've never owned one but have played 5 or 6 and borrowed one for a month once. All-in-all, I think they're exceptionally well made and sound fantastic. I remember actually looking for issues and not finding any. Because they're very custom, the options you choose in him building your bass are up to you and could have any unpredictable outcome. That said, I think he's a master at what he does, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him over others.

4. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I've been very impressed with the work he does. The Stambaugh basses I have played have been of excellent quality and tone. I am considering having him make a bass for me soemday

5. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I've owned 2 Stambaughs, a five string neck through and this [URL='http://members6.clubphoto.com/lowell514508/680980/guest-087c.phtml]custom 8 string[/URL]. CS's work is top shelf and his basses are built like tanks (solid and heavy, at least the 2 I have owned). Huge tone, nice playability. I've never dealt with him personally but he seems like a no nonsense guy who takes pride in a job well done.

[​IMG]

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've owned many high end basses.
    And have had three custom made basses.
    My Stambaugh is the best playing and sounding one of the bunch.
    They are all fretless.
    Chris's work is top notch.
    A great bass for the money.

7. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I love my 2 Stambaughs! My first one is very pretty but my second one plays better. Look under Jon Clark in the collection gallery... My first 2 customs were from him...

...but my last 2 customs were from Marchlewski...

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Bump!!

Any others??

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been really interested in Stambaugh for some time. I hear that his price of, say $1400 for a 4 banger, is pretty much it; and that unless you get some wild ass options, it stays at $1400. So electronics, hardware, and wood choice, by and large don't matter.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

10. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    you havent been able to sleep since youve seen this bass have you?

11. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, but here is my somewhat belated response. I have a four string bolt on Stambaugh now (crotch walnut facing, ash body, three piece maple/purpleheart neck, macassar ebony board with very subtle bubinga lines) and I love it. Best sounding and easiest playing fretless I've ever played or owned. The Aguilar OBP-3 pre (18 volt) in conjunction with the Bartolini X pups that Chris favors make this sound huge. When I called, I figured that Chris would offer some pretty run of the mill wood choices for his "base" price of $1400 for the B/O four, but no. He threw out a number of combinations that would definitely be upgrades from other builders. Because I love the fretless so much, I've just gone back to Chris and have started him on a four string bolt on fretted with similar overall specs but different woods. This one will be eucalyptus burl over African mahoghany with a three piece maple/padauk neck and a birdseye maple board with ebony binding. Electronics will probably be the same as on my fretless. I've praised Chris before and often. I've owned Pedulla, Roscoe, G&L, Fender, MTD, Music Man and some others. Nothing in my experience can touch Chris Stambaugh's work for quality and value. I would recommend him without hesitation to anyone. When you go to his site and see that the players there own two, three or more of his instruments, that says something. They keep coming back to him. I certainly did.

12. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Here's a slight clarification to my last post: the eucalyptus burl facing is adding $100 to the fretted folt on four that Chris is currently building for me. That is an upgraded wood choice. So the price of this one will be $1500. Didn't want want people to start calling Chris asking for burl tops for his amazingly reasonable base price. However, when I called to get the fretless started last fall, Chris did throw out a number of woods for facings that weren't the expected choices. I settled on the walnut to get the sound and aesthetics I was after. Now I'll have the dark woods on the fretless and the light eucalyptus burl and maple board on the fretted. The brunette and the blonde. Both of my Stambaughs feature Chris' double cut body shape, by the way, which is very well balanced and comfy.

13. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    He has a great website. Seems like a very talented guy. Well-spoken. Tremendous value. Will definately seriously consider him for custom work.