Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stambaugh owners...sound off!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dirty Road Cola, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Hey all,

I've been kicking around the idea of ordering a Stambaugh in the somewhat distance future (December-ish, most likely) and I wanted to hear some feedback from those of you that own some of Chris' basses. Oh, and while you're at it...post pictures, as well! :)

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I'll tell you in a few months. Mine isn't finished yet. You can bet I'll be posting all kinds of pictures once it's done, as well as a full review.

What are you thinking about getting?

3. Absolutely wonderful fit and finish, great playability, and totally custom. I ended up buying a single cut with Pope preamp and Aero's. It's a very mellow bass (not surprising with the Pope and Aero's)... it's great for jazz style fingerstyle playing. I'm sure you could get one made to cop any type of sound/feel you want. I really like the maple/wenge/maple/wenge/maple five piece neck.. very attractive and I still have not touched the truss rod (it's been about 6 months and has gone through parts of three seasons.

I'm very pleased with it. There's still a picture of it up on Dan Lenard's Luthier's Access Group website.... it's the 35" one on the left.... I do not have the ramp installed. It's actually in another city at the moment (where I play relatively often). I'm planning on bringing it back to Motown, and will post a higher quality picture... the LAG site pictures don't do it justice.

4. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Hey Joe,

Well, I want a simple singlecut 6 string. My Marchlewski is great, but I feel its sound would be better suited fretless, so I think I need to give Jake a call and talk to him about that. It's a very punchy low-mids bass, very compressed as well. I'd like something different than that: nasty, growly and aggressive (enough subjective terms for you?). I'm looking at a mahogany bodied bolt on single cut with either maple or ash neck and either a maple, wenge or cocobolo fingerboard. I like the Aeros I played on my friend's Fodera (I realize they're proprietary and all that jazz) but preamp wise I at a loss. I don't want a fancy schmanzy top, either.

I'm toying around with the idea of getting a weird scale length (33" or 33 1/2") as I liked Carey Nordstrand's personal bass when I played it at NAMM.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Do it!! You won't regret it!! Here's mine!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full review HERE.

6. I love my Stammie. I can get a ton of sounds out of it. I can get a good growly punchy sound and then back out the mids a bit and smooth it out. If I roll off the trebs and mids I get a great bassy trance sound. I like to lay out grooves with a DJ every once in a while. I also have stereo outs and a piezo that can be blended with the main out and is also dedicated to the secondary out. The treble and metalic overtones work wonders on all of the effects I run through the secondary output. I use a volume pedal to swell in synth and delays and whatnot and get a great subtle effect with the master peizo volume backed off. If I roll the volume up all of the way the effects really stick out. I love the look, feel and sound of this bass. I just wish I could by more of them! I'm ready for a fretless chambered SC 5 string or something similar. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Chambered, Aeros w/Aggie 3 band & passive tone. Spanish cedar w/Afzelia top & Mac ebony fretboard. 3/4" spacing w/room to spare- UNH! Somebody SLAP me. :eyebrow:What I love about the whole experience of working w/Chris is that I said, "Make it sound thus:Blah blah blabbity blah", Chris suggested woods, etc, & it does EVERYTHING I ask. Weighs less than my Fender J-5, too. He should be starting a fretless 7 for me soon. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
    Edit:Hey! Jayt has more knobs than me! I got more strings, though- and a detuner(o00oh).

8. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I'm not going to go so far as to ask all you fellas how much you paid for your instruments, but are Chris' prices presented on the website applicable to instruments such as yours? IE: is the price list on his website a fair representation of what he charges for his more recent work or is it outdated?

I've e-mailed Chris, but I imagine he's probably ultra-busy in the shop and the fact that I e-mailed him with an attached picture might mean that it was deleted. I know some of these questions should be directed to him, so I apologize for airing it all out here...I guess I'm just impatient! ;)

9. I'm getting ready to start working on the strings so you better get a ^% load of knobs on that 7! :p

10. The prices presented on the site are very accurate! I did pay more than the starting price. My top was extra although most of the nice woods that you see more often are not up-charged... which I found hard to believe until I spoke with Chris. My electronics were an up-charge as well but extremely reasonable. The "custom philosophy" page on his site is a good reflection of his business practices. I paid just a little bit more for everything when it was said and done. Chris can take a little while to answer an email depending on what you are asking. You can't go wrong with him though!

11. FYI... the Aero's on my Stambaugh are about as far away from 'nasty, growly and aggressive' as you can get... I'd describe them as warm, mellow and round. The Aero/Pope combo is not the optimum for getting that sound (unless you can get the Aero single coil version that Dan uses on the Lakland DJ model!)... that's a nasty, growly thing!

12. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

We need more pics of this beauty!!!

13. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Chris has the fairest pricing for custom work. The prices on his site are accurate. Chris will not charge for some work that other luthiers will. I'm getting a ramp for mine at no cost. (Others will charge $100+ for this) He also offered a small inlay on the fretboard for free. Even though his inlay work is incredible, I opted out of that option.

Your best bet is to call Chris. I know he's been having computer troubles lately, so you might not get an answer as quiclkly. If you call before 7pm (eastern) you should have no problem getting in touch with him. Chris is very down to earth & easy to talk too. Tell him what you're looking for, and he'll offer suggestions.

Man, this thread is really bad for my GAS. :bawl:

14. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Yeah, I figured as much..you're right about the Lakland, though. Those things are beasts! Thank you all for your help.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  16. He is way better than fair! His pricing is reason enough to work w/him, but the finished product is worth much more, IMO. Everyt good thing mentioned above holds very true for me. Do call him, though- he nearly always answers the phone; emails take awhile.
    Jayt, I'm inrigued by your dual outputs through dual rigs- I may have to do something similar w/my fretless. As for knobs, I'm trying to do fewer this time around, but at the same time there's so much I want to do w/this ax. Dilemma, dilemma.

17. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    my goooooood . . . gaaaaas . . .

18. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Guess what Chris is working on right now? :D My new bass. Once he gets his computer up and running again, I'll have pictures and in progress shots. :D :D :D :D

19. It's actually just one rig right now. The reason for the stereo outs is to get the effects without losing the fundamental while retaining better control of the output. I'm a little clumsy with the feet so it's almost all or nothing with a volume pedal. I can control the output with my volume knob on the bass to control the effected to dry mix and still use the volume pedal the way I always have. This is a big departure for me as I am generally a set it and forget it kind of player. But I didn't know when I would ever be able to commission another bass like this and wanted to get something that could handle all of my tonal interests at once. I believe that this bass does just that.

20. I am waiting to see how this bass turns out for you Poon! Long time- no see! Hope you've been good.... didn't you commission two basses? This Stammie and another one?