1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stambaugh + RMC + Axon Midi = ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Mar 8, 2008.

1. So I finally got an Axon AX50 midi box to use with my Stambaugh, which has RMC piezo pickups feeding their Polydrive electronics for midi use. Basically, I'm impressed and I'm disappointed.

I'm impressed with the speed of tracking. I read people saying how lower notes especially track slowly, but for me (with this setup) the low notes tracked really well. All the way down to low B I got a very fast response time.

But, when I started playing anything more complicated, or with a little more speed, the accuracy of the midi tracking dropped quite a bit. It's probably a combination of the strings that I use (brighter, higher tension strings would probably be better, but midi isn't worth that cost to me :p), the settings from the device/computer (I didn't tweak it a whole lot), and just where the technology is at this point in time.

So in short, I've abandoned the midi idea for now. Returned the Axon already. Maybe in the future, the technology will get better and cheaper. And there's always the possibility of using the 13-pin jack as a direct output for the piezos, which would definitely have uses :)

Here's a quick soundclip I did, playing around with the midi. The midi piano sound is panned all the way left, and the bass only tone is all the way right, so you can hear what's going on.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=1091410&T=3642

2. There seems to be a noticeable delay between the bass note & the faux-piano, even to my bad ears. A neat 'effect' but I wouldn't want it to always be there. Nice noodling, BTW.

3. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I have the RMC with the midi jack on one of my basses and had the same mixed results. Great concept but less than desirable results.

The RMC piezo system is awesome though.

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    One thing about the MIDI setup that I use (the Axon may be different (but probably not)) is that it needs a clean signal to give a clean output. In other words, the playing style should be clean and precise. Good technique. Much of the usual noodeling mess will confuse the poor computer that tries to translate my playing to MIDI.

5. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have been messing with midi for the past few months and I agree with Elros totally. The only way I've had any success with the midi is with a very clean approach.

For me it's been a question of patience and a change in my playing approach. My goal has been to somehow incorporate this into my routine gigging, but right now I feel like I'm a fair distance away from making that happen ..... :meh:

6. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Well, I just (yeaterday in fact) came back from a ten day tour with the gospel choir. I used my Surine 6 (with the internal GK pickup kit installed) and my pedal board which carries the Roland V-Bass (not MIDI) and the GR-20 (MIDI). The V-Bass does all of the regular bass sounds, and some bass synth sound. The GR-20 does things like long sustained bass synth tones, and at one point in one song it actually does orchestra hits. That's about it. And for those few notes I make extra effort to play very cleanly, and not touch those strings that aren't supposed to make sound. The GR-20 will pick it up if my plucking finger just land on an adjacent string....
    But it works very well.

7. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I didn't think that was too bad. Definitely not perfect enough for recording (unless the engineer adjusts the track to sync 100%), but I think it would be excellent live.

Alan

8. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    It is excellent live, once you learn to use it. IMO.

9. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I just bought a peavey midibass on ebay... This uses a different approach than the midi pickup. NO delay.