Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STAMBAUGH vs FBB CUSTOM... and DP Custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 9, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    I've been thinking about getting a custom sometime in the future, and I found too resaonably priced luthiers:

STambaugh and FBB.

Does anyone have custom's from these guys?

How do you like them?

I also found Dave Pushic Custom. For 700 bucks, I can't see if it could be of any quality. But hey, anyone have one of these?

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I am very biased towards FBB (own 2, trying to get $$ together for #3) so my response is, of course, to contact Matt Schmill as soon as you can and place your order ... :D

That said, Stambaugh makes extremely fine instruments, as well. It's kind of interesting with both FBB and Stambaugh in the way they price their basses, the superb construction of each builder, their general respect for the integrity of the basses they build, and the loyalty they have in their customer base.

Here at TB, it seems like Stambaugh may be slightly favored over FBB, but it's a pretty close contest. My own view is that FBB is a bit more "earthy" whereas Stambaugh is a bit more "modern". Honestly, you can't go wrong with either builder ......

Dave Pushic has a little bit of a checkered history here at TB. Seems some players have been quite disappointed with his stuff .... I don't know enough about DP to voice an opinion one way or the other .....

FBB or Stambaugh, both excellent choices ...... :cool:

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Forgot these, some eye candy ;)

FBB #020 fretless 6
    [​IMG]

FBB #030 fretted 5
    [​IMG]

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Do us all a favor and don't tell them that they're too reasonably priced!

Kidding.

Both great builders as far as I know. I might have a bass built by one of them sometime in the future.

Marshall

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've owned and/or played all three.. I say go with the Stambaugh..

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    FBB is good for the rpice, but Stambaugh IMO looks 1000x better. FBBs shapes are never close to symmetrical and look really shoddy.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've owned both FBB, and Stambaugh.
    Both are fine basses, and close in price.
    I would give the edge to Stambaugh.
    For what I orded, Chris's bass was slighty better made,
    and delivered the sound I requested.
    I also feel Chris had better quality wood. just a finer grade.
    That said I would order form both FBB, and Stambaugh again.

8. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    From what I've heard here on TalkBass I think you
    would be happy with either of the two.

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Either is good. I personally would only do FBB if I could get a deal on a used one that I liked. That's mainly because I don't like the looks of them. Stammies just look classier, imo.

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Ouch.

My FBB (see my avatar) and others I have seen or played are far from shoddy. Impeccable quality, tone, and craftsmanship abound.

+1

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Jason, I just saw a fullsize pic of your bass in the bass/car thread and I fell in love!

12. Antman3820

Antman3820 Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Toms River, NJ
    I am waiting for my SC5 from Chris and EVERY TIME I CALLED, he either answered or returned my call shortly there after. I have yet to recieve my first Bass and I am already considering my second. Go to his website and read his philosophy page, that alone was one of the things (As well as his basses !!!), that sold me. I also have yet to read a negative thing or anyone having a negative experience with Chris. I'd give him the nod.:bassist:

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Indeed i do like yours, and many others, but there are MANY that the shapes just dont make sense to me. ><

14. I sold my Fodera and kept my Stambaugh! Chris's work is just stunning.. and reasonable.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That said, apart from jason's FBB bass, I think I prefer Stambaugh...Chris's work astounds me, and he makes it all at such great prices!

16. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    There are some funky FBB shapes - I agree with you there. It was just the "shoddy" part I disagreed with.

Thanks!

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wasnt commenting on the qualtiy being shoddy. The shapes seemed shoddy to me. Like someone scribbled on a piece of paper and went 'deedeedee... bass!'

18. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    As a very biased FBB fan, I felt I had to separate the designs vs. quality. :)

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was close to ordering one a while ago, trust me i like several things about them :)

20. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Cool. BTW, your Sterling pic (or some other pic, possibly) isn't showing up in the car/bass thread. Just a Tripod logo.