Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stambaugh Vs. Hanewinckel.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willsellout, Aug 24, 2003.

1. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    Which would you choose and why?

Dan

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Whichever you like best.

3. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    I am just wondering because I talked to Pete and he quoted me a price that is about a grand more than Stambaugh. I have never played a stambaugh but hear they are great. I have played one of petes basses and I was floored by the playability and perfection of setup and feel...Maybe I just answered my own question. Not to mention Pete lives right down the street from me:)

Dan

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Just Friday night I had the pleasure of comparing 2 Hanewinckels and a Stambaugh. I actually have the Stambaugh in my hands right now!:D

The Stambaugh is, without a doubt, an outstanding bass that's far less costly than its counterparts by other luthiers. Price aside, though, they're both very different, but both very fine instruments. What it comes down to is personal preference. If you like Pete Hanewinckel's basses that much, why look elsewhere?

Personally, I'm kinda glad I don't have the bucks to make that decision, because it'd be a tough one. I am, however, a big fan of Chris Stambaugh's work and wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

5. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    You are the man I was looking for then...I like Petes basses, but I unfortunately don't have a ton of money, so If I can get a bass equal to pete's for less..I of course would think about it..I am also checking into Carey Nordstrands work..He is about the same costwise as Pete's..It's a tough decision. Body style, I like Carey's. Pete's body's are cool and he has a ton to choose from, my only gripe would be that he uses Bart Electronics..I personally don't care for them. Stambagh and carey both use aggie pre's which I really love. I just like Pete cause he's close to me and I can check out progress or even help out if I wanted(he is very open to that. It's tough

Dan

6. "equal to" is kind of problematic. These guys--Pete Hanewinckel, Chris Stambaugh, Carey Nordstrand, or any of the other fine builders from Fodera on down--do their own thing. I won't say it's like comparing apples and oranges, because they obviously share some things in common, and there are certain things you can compare directly like options, playability, attention to detail, etc. But buy the Stambaugh because you like the Stambaugh, not because you think it's a "discount Hanewinckel".

Make sense?

Mike

7. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I have 2 stammies and they are great basses!

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think that you aren't doing Chris Stambaugh any justice by choosing him as a "discount Hanewinkel". I know that those are Mike's words but they seem fairly accurate. I live near Chris and have owned a few of his instruments. You would be very happy with his work I'm sure. You would also be very happy with one of Pete's or Carey's instruments. Look hard at what each builder has to offer and decide from there. If price is the issue than know that Chris will make you a smokin bass. If you want one of the other builder's instruments than save your nickels and dimes and go for it. Life is short. Which would make you happy?:)

9. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    I think what I said came out wrong..my fault. I know Chris isn't a cheap anyone..he is his own bassmaker. I just meant he does what Pete does, just his prices are better. Not that he makes a cheap bass..none of these guys do..There are some things that I like about Stambaugh and things I don't..I am not a huge fan of the body shape, while Carey and Pete have selectionsa little more my taste..Pete uses Bart electronics, but Chris and carey use aguilar..there are plus's and minus's to each guy..But sorry that came out wrong..I wasn't trying to bash anyone.

I know these guys all do exceptional work.

DAn

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Same here. Pete's basses are nice too. The problem is you're not going to be able to walk into a store and a/b Stammies and Hannies (now I'm hungry, maybe for a Han Stamwich?)

AFAIK I don't think either of them are married to Bart electronics*. Heck, one of my Stambaughs has just a Lane Poor pickup, a volume control (and an output jack). Excellent basses IMO, highly recommended.

* I love all of my Bart installs:D

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im sure if you ask you could get the aggie sytem in any bass you wanted.

You could also just do a replacement after the fact.

Peace
    Nick

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Damn you beat me.

Peace
    Nick

13. LOL - very punny, Brad!

14. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Have him build you one of these!

[​IMG]

Whats not to like about that body!!! :)

Im biased of course.

15. I was in a similar position earlier this year...Stambaugh or Nordstrand or Hanewinckel? Those were my exact same choices that I widdled it down to.

Then my home furnace died and needed replacing. That decided for me.....:(

One thing though. When I called Pete, he was willing to build a single cut, but to my knowledge he hasn't yet. Would that make anyone feel uncomfortable? BTW, I played a Hane at the old L.A. Bass Exchange and was blown away! I usually have good control over my impulses, but I was then and there trying to figure out how I could afford this bass.

I ENVY YOUR DILEMNA!!!

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well...IMO, they don't necessarily do the same thing. Have you played a Stambaugh? They're pretty customized, down to the electronics. Here's a link to his website, where Chris discusses his "custom" philosophy...http://www.stambaughdesigns.com/custphil.html

Don't do yourself the disservice of assuming you don't like Chris' body shape. Did you base that on ONE of his body shapes? Have you seen the other choices? Those choices include what YOU want. He's a bit more custom than you might think...

I will tell you, though, that his basses have some of the most comfortable necks I've EVER played, and his basses have some of the most "organic" and "natural" sounds I've heard from ANY builder, Pete Hanewinkel included.;)

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...that don't happen too often, do it?:DLOL

19. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Actually, I was down at Bass Alone a while back and did exactly that; A/B'ing a Hannie and Stammie.

I was playing a 7-string Hannie. That was a mighty fine instrument.

The Stammie was a 6-string (Bass Alone still has it on their site... the Hannie's still there too, actually). Other than the thickness of the neck and being passive, it's quite an impressive bass for the price.

I must admit that even I'd have problems deciding who to go with.