Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stambaugh vs Pedulla(fretless)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassteban, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Help me narrow my GAS. Anyone ever A/B a Penta- or Hexabuzz against a fretless Stambaugh? I have a fretted Stammie 6 & love it, but the one Pentabuzz I fiddled with absolutely played itself- nicely! Opinions/experiences?

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    no experience with the stam, but A pedulla is a top notch piece, can't go wrong with it imho.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool: I've owned both.
    Both are great basses.
    I'am not a fan of the P & J Bart, pickups on the Pedulla.
    I called Mike and he would not put other pickups in his bass.
    But I love his coated fingerboard on his fretless.
    The Stambaugh I had made, was exactly, what I wanted.
    I love the flexability of micro-builders.
    If your spending $2500.00 or more for a bass, why not get
    options you want?
    I've owned two Pedulla's, My 5-string J-2000. is my fav.5-string.
    I sold the fretless because of the sound of the pickups.
    In the end get the one you like.

4. I like them all! Thanks, guys.

5. I personally wouldnt go with any other brand besides Pedulla for fretless. I've played on one Pentabuzz and like you said earlier. It basically played itself.

6. I've got a sweet Pentabuzz, and it's my favorite fretless.

[​IMG]

It has a Bartolini JJ set and the new electronics and an AAAAA
    top, so it's proof that Mike Pedulla will build with other pickups than the Bart PJ.

The bass is very easy to play in tune, it's very comfortable and it records great.

As much as I love it, I think I would go with a PJ set if I had the choice. I guess I'm going
    through a Pbass phase these days. I also wish it didn't have gold hardware, which I find a bit gaudy.

I've never played a Stambaugh.

Aloha,

Jonathan

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've owned a couple of fretless Stambaughs. Both ended up with LaBella Black Tapewounds and really nail the Rob Allen vibe. For the price they're tough to beat. Ignore the price and I'd still choose them in this shootout.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You'll have many more options with Chris Stambaugh. Actually, you'll get whateved you want. As for the differences, the Stambaugh is more woody and organic sounding while the Pedulla has more zing. I personally can't do the Pedulla thing because I don't like thick finishes, especailly on the neck. I also prefer not to use Bartolini pickups with a Bart preamp.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    That's my problem too?
    Just ask my wife!!!

10. Andy, you took the words right out of my mouth. For me, this is a no-brainer -- Stambaugh!! You choose the wood, the pickups, the body style, everything! Pedulla Buzzes are pretty much a done deal on body shape and electronics. It will also sound more organic. To me, Pedullas sound like they're wrapped in Saran Wrap - I just don't care for that total gloss finish with the epoxy coated fingerboard. That just seems the opposite way to go if you're trying to get more expressive with the music.

My .02