1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stambaugh vs Warmoth ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, May 11, 2011.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have been considering getting a new bass for a while. I am quite picky and know what I want.

I have a short scale stambaugh and love it. However, there are a few things I would change. I would get a body shape with a lower horn that does not dig into my leg when in a seated position. I would also make sure the next bass I get would have a more standard, rounded butt end (near the bridge) so that it would balance better in foldable guitar stands etc. I would also get a bass with a poly finish. The oil finish I have on my current bass is beautiful but it is showing wear and I think a poly finish is more durable. There are a couple other things like going with a different headstock shape etc but those are minor.

I could order another Stambaugh and I am sure those things could be easily remedied enough. However, I am not sure I can afford a $2000 bass at this time, when I can get a warmoth for probably under a $1000. I already have almost all the parts for a warmoth project except the bridge. The other advantage of the warmoth is that I would not have to wait a year for my bass, which is approx how long the stambaugh would take to be built. My current bass took 10 months from the time the deposit was sent.

With warmoth I could get my wood choices and would likely just stick with the shortscale J style body they offer. Basically, there is one thing I am concerned about and that is build quality... especially the neck. I have a warmoth wenge/ebony neck currently and I am quite happy with it, but the build quality of my Stambaugh is outstanding.

So should I spend $1000 more and wait a year for the stambaugh and pretty much know I am getting a 10/10 bass or should I go for the warmoth for a $1000, much less wait time and get a 8 or 9/10 bass?

My current Stammie
    juststammie.

2. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    I would go Warmoth. Getting another Stambaugh with only minor changes would give you two basses that sound very similiar. Which would mean that you would only play the new and improved one (I would think). The Warmoth would give you another quality bass, but maybe adding some tone options as well.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'd actually prefer them to sound similar. I'm more of a one tone guy and the Stambaugh has great tone.

I'd likely sell the current Stambaugh if the newer one were better as I'd have hard time justifying owning two 1000+ basses.

4. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    I don't think you'd be happy with the Warmoth then. You seem to be happy with everything but the body shape on your current bass, so I'm thinking you'd be happiest getting a new Stambough and then selling the old one. You'd probably wind up doing that even if you do the Warmoth thing, anyway. Good luck on your decision.

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I would expect the Stambaugh to have superior build quality; however, the parts you get from Warmouth should be top-notch as well.

Have you assembled a parts bass before? From what I gather there is more to it than just bolting everything together which is why Nino Vallenti and the like charge a premium.

IMO, the Stambaugh is the safe bet if you want a bass like the one you have with only minor changes. OTOH, if you have some experience and/or somone you trust to do the work you could save yourself some dough and still get very good results (plus, build projects are fun).

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    "there is more to it than just bolting everything together"

Interesting point. I think I'll have no problem putting the warmoth together as all I'll be doing is the pickups (and wiring), bridge and tuners. I think the biggest issue is the neck and how mates to the body in the neck pocket. I assume since both parts are Warmoth the neck would fit 'perfectly' in the body's neck pocket. As far as I can tell that is the most crucial thing, right? I do know that the Stambaugh again excels in this area. The neck is tight, tight, tight in that bass's pocket. Really well done.

If I go with warmoth I will have them professionally finish the bass and neck in poly etc. Thats the biggest area I would likely mess up and is probably best left to professionals.

Still more thinking needs to be done on this.

Anymore opinions?