Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stamina!!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by rory dempsey, Mar 29, 2002.

1. rory dempsey

rory dempsey Guest

Mar 12, 2002
    next summer i will be playing Wagners "The Ring" cycle twice in two weeks.this also involves two weeks of rehearsal beforehand.anyone who knows this music will understand just how much work this involves.can anyone give me some advice on how to stay healthy for the duration,not to get tendonitis(again) and how to survive the killer rehearsal schedule?
    any help is much appreciated.thanks
    Rory

2. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Start practicing more each day until you are playing longer than the opera will last each day.

Work up to it a little each day. if you do an hour a day now do an hour an 10 mins for a week then go to an hour and 20 mins, and, so on.

At first play long note scales that will build your strength up. Several seconds each note. I know yuck! It has to be done.

You might look for some hints about music related injuries on the web. I know Stings just had an artical about this topic.

Your topic is someting that struck home to me. I have a dear friend that had played 23 stright years in a community orchestra and had to sit out this spring because of a sholder injury - rotator cuff.

And you did not think you were a pro jock did you!:p

3. Bass revolution

Bass revolution

Jun 23, 2002
    Stamina is an important quality when it comes to constant bass-playing! I have found that studying the Alexander technique for musicians has helped me a lot. This wont help with the physical problems of tendonitis, only building up your muscles will do that! However, it will certainly help with the stress and physical exhaustion you get as a result of so much work. Learing breathing and correct posture with phrasing and comfort can not only allow you to play for longer without getting tired but it can also consequently improve your playing. The Alexander Technique for musicians is not a miracle cure for tiredness but can help. check out http://www.alexandertechnique.com/ for more details.

PS. Good luck!:D

4. Alexander Technique is profoundly helpful, but it's too late to be applicable this summer's playing. On the other hand, there's no wrong time to start feeling generally better from head to toe.
    The big problem with musicians is the fear of changing thoroughly ingrained postures, no matter how inherently destructive they are.
    I'm a grateful AT student.