"stamped USED" - what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metal Mitch, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Ok, there's a couple of possibly shady dealers on ebay selling "stamped USED" instruments. I saw one post saying these are factory 2nds or rejects, or damaged/repaired instruments.

The more professional-looking of these dealers is guitarweb. Anybody know anything about these guys?

If they claim the instrument is not "stamped 2nd", but is still "stamped used", what's the deal? Is it a repair job?

The prices on these aren't any better than an unstamped legitimately used axe. Anybody here ever buy any of these? Are the axes usually ok, or should we run away screaming from these "deals"?
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Alot of Epiphone's cosmetic 2nds are stamped "USED" on the back of the headstock. I've seen some stamped "2nd", but most are marked "USED". Of the ones I've run across, most of them have been in very good shape, and sometimes it's been pretty difficult to find the blems on them.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I bought my Epi Jack Casady bass off of ebay from guitarweb... Stamped 'Used'... Not 'shady' at all. Extremely nice over the phone, super fast shipping and a great transaction.

PS The only 'blem' I could find was a non-stock knob on the 'Vari-Ohm' type selector...
  4. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Ok thanks guys. rllefebv, I looked high and low for a phone # to call them first and couldn't find squat. And every link on their website is broken... so I thought it might be shady. Glad to hear the product is ok.

Off I go to get the Jackson I've been wanting... :D
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have also seen instruments that were displayed at high-traffic trade shows stamped as used before being sold.
  6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Well, the KB1 came in Friday and boy am I steamed. This thing is obviously a factory reject.

The bridge is misaligned with the neck, the nut is defective and repaired poorly and inadequately, and there is nut epoxy inside the truss adjustment cavity preventing the truss nut from being turned. Plus, the J pickup buzzes but maybe it's a single coil.

There is no way this instrument should have made it past the 4 QC checks they tout on their auction pages. Their auction claimed there were only cosmetic blemishes on this instrument... I know a word for this.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Alot of instrument companies (Ibanez for sure) do not allow instrumest to be sold below a certian advertized price (MAP).

I know some dealers sell new instrumenst as used with no warranty so they can put it on the web, for instance ebay, &^ sell it below the MAP price. Items such as things that have been in the shop too long, something with blems, etc.

In you case it sounds different. Do you have the link to the auction?

Also, if the item was marked used, mayne the original owner messed with it.
  8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    In France (and, I believe, in many countries too), instruments that have been exposed at a show (i.e. NAMM) cannot then be sold as new instruments. So importers / manufacturers distribute them through their retailers networks as "used" or "demo" instruments.

That's how, 8 years ago, my wife got me my Hamer Centaura guitar (I still have it and will always keep it). It was stamped "used" but was in absolute "as new" condition. She got it with 40 % off. Nice deal.

9. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    This one was not used, there is virtually no fret or fretboard wear. Just a couple of small dings on the 1st couple of frets which I chalk up to the nut being cut way too low. It has a few cosmetic blems, but is definitely not used. Just a factory 2nd.

(Ill) Nino, here's a new auction identical to the one I purchased - they used exactly the same pics, description and everything else.

Note the part where it says "Warranty: blah blah blah". That must be junkyard tradespeak for "this is firewood, fugettaboutit".

A collector on the Jackson/Charvel forum just told me about a problem he had with them in the past, and said they get the absolute bottom of the pile of factory 2nds and most are beyond repair.
  10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    You *shouldn't* have any problem getting a refund. They state that you can return something as long as it has a defect that wasn't mentioned in the auction. None of what you described was mentioned, so there shouldn't be a problem.

If they do give you hassle, I'd report it to ebay as well. But of course if you threaten to take action, that should help things along.

Good luck!
  11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yep, that was exception #2 of the return policy; me too i wish you good luck
  12. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh, just another thought. Even if you can't get a refund for the bass, you could probably impail(sp) them on it :)