1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stan ‘the man’ Musial R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Richland123, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    RIP Stan. STL mourns the loss of one of it's sons.

3. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Today I saw a clip of Musial and Bill Russell receiving the Medal of Freedom. Their faces could easily be on the Mount Rushmore of classy, high-achieving athletes. Another truly great one gone...:(

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Awesome player, wish I had seen him in his time, sad day for us baseball fans, we lose another Legend.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The STL area is pulling out the stops for the greatest Cardinal of all time. He was one of the rare people who no one has anything bad to say about him. Personally, I was impressed by the fact that he was so welcoming to black players when he could have easily done nothing. Stan Musial was a fantastic player and virtually a saint off the field.

6. I was a kid when Stan was playing. He was the first $100,000 ball player, but most players still had to have a second job for the off season. We lived in Frostfield subdivision, small slab built two bedroom homes with a carport. The great Cardinal 3rd baseman Kenny Boyer lived a few doors down and Wally Moon was around the corner.

Stan was one of the greatest players and one of the finest gentlemen in baseball. I moved away from St. Louis in 2008 but still follow the Cardinals, as I have my entire life.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Right on Doc. I couldn't agree more.

8. Growing up in St. Louis and working for Anheuser-Busch back when they owned the Cardinals, and later consulting with A-B and working with Stan's grandson in the marketing department (he is still there!), like most St. Louisan's, I have lots of memories of Stan, especially as a musician.

Stan LOVED to play the harmonica, and owned a popular restaurant in town back in the 70's and 80's. I remember many, many gigs where Stan would come up and play harmonica with the band for a tune or two.

Also, had the amazing experience of seeing him play one time at the old, historic Sportsman's Park in St. Louis in the early 60's before the team moved to Busch Stadium. I was very young, but remember my dad saying 'that is Stan Musial!

RIP. Very class act and great guy, from my few direct interactions with him.

9. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Stan Musial plays Take Me Out to the Ballgame on Harmonica

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021