Stand alone: Avatar B212 or B115 for P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 3, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I know this has been covered a few times, but I wanted some info with my personal situation. I'm getting a new cab to use as a stand alone for both practice and possible home jam situations. For those of you who use a P-Bass, what would you recommend more, an Avatar B212 or B115? I know the 12's will be a little louder but that's not as much of an issue with me. There may be a bit less punchier tone, but I don't know if I would mind that. My main concern right now is weight. 15lbs isn't much, but for me it is a concern, but also getting the best tone out of my rig is as well.
  2. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    I have a B212 and I would think that it would be the preferred stand alone cab of the 2 mentioned. The 212 would definitely be more "punchy" than the 115.
    But more importantly - if 15 lbs is alot for you, both of these cabs are inappropriate for you...
  3. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    My P-bass sounds amazing through my Ashdown and Avatar B212.
  4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    What kind of ashdown? I'm thinking of going with the MAG 300H. I've seen quite a few people here with ashdown/avatar setups.
  5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Both my 212 and 210 work well as standalones. The 210 is surprisinly good at handling the full range of the bass (4 string).
  6. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I have the MAG300H. It sounds amazing!
  7. the wattage factor alone is enough to make me pick the 212 over the 115. all their stuff gets good reviews, so i don't have to worry much about how i'm gonna eq cuz supposedly it'll give me the sound i want
  8. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think I will go with the 2x12 NEO. Really it's just a matter of getting it in the house and down to the basement. Once there it pretty much is staying put. Seeing as I'm not the one doing it, I wanted it to be as light as possible for them.
  9. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    Not a bad idea. I've been thinking about ordering a new NEO 212 (or even 2 single 12's) because the B212 is a bit of a pain to move, and it definately isn't easy to squeeze in the back of an '89 Tempo ;-)
  10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Ah two singles..didn't think of that..more expensive, but they are lighter.
  11. The B212 definately has a more full range sound to it and I think it works better as a standalone than the B115. The B115 (no tweeter) has a more old school tone by itself.

You may find that the SB112 is enough for practice and home use, depending on your amplifier's power. If you go this route and find that it's not enough you could pick up a second one later.

Whatever you decide make sure you get a good set of casters to help move it around. :bassist:
  12. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Out of the two I like the B212. But for the use you describe, I agree with Muzikman. The Avatar SB112 will probably do great. If it lacks in the future, you can buy another.

FWIW I have the Avatar B212, B210 and SB112. I may buy another SB112 for total mix/match flexibility.

Good Luck

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    The 210 NEO is excellent with a 5 string as well...I was pleasantly surprised as well, but I need the extra kick, so I'm ordering a 212 NEO...lots of flexibility with this setup, IMO
  14. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I am looking for as much vintage vibe as I can get, that's why the 15" was my first choice. I don't usually use the tweeter anyway.

I was going to order the casters, but I read that it's better to get some removable ones rather than avatar's. If I do get avatar's casters, do I have to drill for them or do I just have to buy the wood screws?
  15. The 12's can get a vintage vibe or a more modern tone. With the 15 you're kind of stuck with one tone. Don't get me wrong, I like the 15 linked with other cabs, it just isn't my first choice as a standalone.

The Avatar casters are mounted with wood screws but you would get one heckuva workout if you didn't predrill small starter holes first. I think the 1.5 inch casters they supply are a little small and don't roll as well as 2 inch ones you can get at a Home Depot. But at $9 a set you can't go wrong with the Avatar's.
  16. My Peavey Firebass 700 and Avatar B212 make my P-bass sound exactly like a P-bass should sound. If you're playing rock or classic rock and want that traditional P-bass tone, you'll get it with the B212.
    I used Ernie Ball Popout casters. I used one of those flat drill bits to drill a large hole in the Avatar cab so the caster receiver would fit. On parts express they have removable casters that slide into the recepter via a plate so you dont have to drill a huge hole in your cab, but those are a lot more money.
  17. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    212 definitely. Much more versatile cabinet. I owned one and it sounded great.
  18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I'd say that if you're just using it for home jamming, and really want a vintage vibe, go with the 15. It will be lighter, and should provide the tone you want. The 1x12" idea might work, but if you like the sound of 15"s, why take the chance?

For gigs though, I would definitely go with the 212 (or 2 1x12" cabs). In my limited experience, they've always sounded great at shows, and 15" cabs as standalones don't always sound great.
  19. Your defiantly going to get more of a vintage vibe with the 15", but that limits the tone to just that vintage, thick and loads of lowend. 15lbs isn’t much, but its a concern for you- then go the B115 Neo @ 51lbs that’s not a bad weight, if you need some more punch in the future then get a B210 Neo to go on top...

The B212 will give a more versatile sound, probably less low-end, and a little more mid focused- you'll easily be able to dial in a vintage sound with some creative eq'ing of your amp.<O:p

The Ashdown amps are great; I prefer the AMB series though, as it has a little more warmth to it coming from the tube preamp... Both the Mag and ABM are great amps though, rather cheap here in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:country-region w:st=Australia</ST1:p</st1:country-region> too, in comparison to other similar amps in their respective ranges.<O:p
  20. I have 2 B115H's
    Knowing what I know now, I would have gotten the B212 for a standalone and a B115 later.
    I put a JBL E140F in one of the B115's to get more mids that a 212 would lend.
    I understand the B212's get terrific low end also.