Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stand alone cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Aug 24, 2005.

1. well, since ill be upgrading my whole amp soon-ish i only really want one cabinet and whats better as a stand-alone cabinet a 410 with or without a horn or a 15" with a horn....

i play jazz, hip hop, funk and blues..ive really got my eyes set on a hartke ha3500 for a head, but im unsure of what cabinet to go for, i really like the sound of hartke 4.5xl's

2. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    If you like the sound of the Hartke cab and are thinking of getting a Hartke head, looks like you've found what you need. And I would think a 4x10 would serve better as a stand alone cab too. BTW, I just sent you a PM off topic, if I am correct pls drop me a PM when you get a chance, if we do have similar basses, I'd like to ask you a couple questions. Later, ernie.

3. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    IMHO... given the kind of music you're doin', I would think a 4 x 10" cabinet would better suit your sound. Of course it's all subjective and personal, but jazz, hip-hop (not one of my personal favorites), funk & blues needs the punch & clarity that 10-inchers seem to deliver. I have an Eden D410XLT, it has a horn, and it does, indeed, deliver that punch & clarity... as well as enough low-end to do the trick.

However... I am also a big-time lover of 15" bass drivers, and this goes way back to my early days of rockin' in the 70s and early 80s. So, having said that, I discovered the Bergantino NV215, and I find it to be one helluva speaker cabinet! I will use it as a stand alone cab, and with a little eq-ing on the amp and my bass (either my Fender Stu Hamm Urge-II, or my Warwick Thumb-5 NT), I can get enough mids & highs in order to cut-through to the back of just about any room I play. Of course the bottom-end is out there rattling rib cages, too... but we are talking 15" drivers... :smug: Me and my bandmates cover a lot of 60s & 70s rock classics, so maybe you can see why I lean toward my 2 x 15" cabinet... ;)

Once in awhile we get to play a venue where I can use both cabinets! I have a Marshall VBA400 for those rare moments... :eek: I will bust out the earplugs for such occasions, and I warn pregnant women and little children to seek cover... :bag: However... I just recently got a great deal on an ever-so-slightly used Aguilar DB750. The Marshall appears to be getting a little nervous...

Go with the 4 x 10"... they're very efficient, compact and usually fairly easy to haul around... and, like I said already, I would think your style of music calls for it, anyway...

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Based on the two offerings you have suggested, I'd say 410. Contemporary 410 cabs are very efficient and most are tuned to play easily as low as a 115 cabinet. I recently picked up an Ampeg 410 HLF. It has way more bottom end guts than any 115 I have ever played.

Also, you can almost always round out the tone of a 410 with a little EQ to approximate (in a band mix) the old school 15 sound, but it's much tougher to get the punch of a 410 cabinet into a 115.

12s are a compromise in the middle. There are some 212 cabinets out there that sound very goof. I have played the Eden 212 and was very happy with the sound.

5. Dr. Bass's BL 2260 cab? These cabs are getting fabulous reviews in addition to being affordable. They are designed to take a huge amount of abuse and still look and sound great. The 2260 uses 2 12" drivers in addition to a 6.5" midrange driver and a compression horn. They handwire the crossover and include mid and high frequency controls. The entire package is rated at 1000 watts RMS with a frequency range of 40HZ to 20kHz (102 Db 1W1M).

All this in a 67 pound package (important to old guys like me!)

Just a thought,
    Jay

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    GK heads sound really good with Hartke cabs IMHO! But I would also try Schroeder & Bergies before you decide. It's a great time to be buying speakers.......so many great ones to decide from :bassist:

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    there's no real formula. you really need to try a bunch.

but two things to consider when looking for the "standalone cab"

first, (and obvious) the cab should sound the way you want to sound all by itself. lots of cabs sound good paired with a second identical cab or with a radically different cab, but this one is gonna be it.

second, you want to find a cab that can be loud enough with the amp you have (also pretty obvious, but who knows?). there are a few things to consider about this.

First, the sensitivity (how loud the cab is in dB when powered by 1 watt at the frequency of 1 Khz at a didstance of 1 meter away) of the cab should be fairly high. look for at leats 100 db, 103+ is better, 106 is pretty neat.

However, sensitivity doesnt tell the whole story. not much of the BG signal is at 1 K. the overall frequency response curve or "voicing" of the speaker will have a big impact on how loud the percieved volume of the cab is, so listen to it rather than trusting specs alone.

Total speaker area will also affect volume. One 15" has a little more area than two tens. (but not much) a 4x10 will give you quite a bit of surface area and will move a good deal more air than one 15". (but it's only one part of the picture, an efficient and aggressively voiced 1x15 can sound just about as loud as a lot of 410 cabs.

The last thing to look at is the impedence of the cab and if you're planning to ever add a second one for more volume or different tone. The amp you're looking at (and most amps) will only safely handle a 4 ohm minimum load. that means that you can use oone 8 ohm cab, two 8 ohm cabs, or one 4 ohm cab with the head. If your standalone cab is a 4 ohm one, you'll get max power out of the head, but you won't be able to ever add a second one. If the s/a cab is an 8 ohm one, you wont quite get max power, (although the volume difference will be minimal) but you'll eb able to add a second cab down the road.

8. alright, thanks for the help, but i probably should have this in my signature :D but brands like bergantino, accugroove, dr bass, avatar, scroeder and so forth arent available down under......

and also im not interested in going after a huge high powered rig like 1000w or whatever, thats why im looking at the hartke ha3500, plus it has the tube/ss pre and the 10 band eq which i find really neat..

i havent tried gk heads with hartke cabs, but i have tried hartke heads with eden cabs and boy oh boy

9. Heath, you might wanna add a price point.

Chances are anything past your price point isnt even available here anyway.

Of course I'm all about Eden. And they're pricey but sell well used on E-Bay.

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    How much volume will you need? I use a Hartke 3500 head as a practice rig and its a very, very quiet amp with just a 410XL. Its OK for controlled volume reherasals but with two guitarists and a drummer playing metal I have to EQ for all mid, which gives a really nasty tone.

Its probablya dequate for less demanding situations, but if you need reasonably high volume you should probably look into something with more power.

11. im talkin about doin small-medium club gigs...how the hell is it not loud enough? im currently giggin with about 100w with my peavey mark 3 and its plenty loud....theres pa support, why would i need something so big?..that and im not playing metal, im not looking to go deaf in 3 years :p ..im playin funk and hip hop..at the moment im playin with a drummer, guitarist and a seccond guitarist who mainly uses a guitar synth anyway

im gonna get a loan of about $2500-$3000aus in a few months to splurge on a rig

i can get the ha3500 and 4.5xl brand new for about $1700 my special price :D

12. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Honestly i don't like Hartke rigs. But i used to have one, and it was a bad exp. But I had the low end version. HA2000 And the VX410. The VX410 is great if all you want is a decent (at best) cab. If you're going to be useing a low b, i'd steer clear of the vx410.
    Honestly, if you want to go all out, a hartke setup is not the way to go.
    My dream rig is a Eden stack. I have a Eden 410 XLT, and dear god... Wow this cabinet has been amazing to me. The lows are incredible. The highs are cutting. The mids sound punchier. Everything sounds better. IMO. A great head, which alot of guys don't like, is the GK 800 RB. I feel its the work horse of bass heads. It's very versitile and can get the sound you want. If you buy all these used, you'll be ok. Ebay is you're friend, just say you'll pay shipping. The eden will cost a buttload to ship (98 pounds). But anyway- good luck.

Dan

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I also think the GK 800RB is a very nice head.....it sure works it's way into a lot of backlines I've used.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm on the GK bandwagon myself, but I also liked my old 3500. Treat it right (rack mount it and put it in the van rather than throw it in the van... they are not the most robust contruction out there...) and it will treat you right.

Personally I wouldn't get to excited about the dual pre sound. It is very likely that you'll find one sound with that amp and stick with it. To my ear, the SS side was closer to what I look for than the tube side was. Seemed like the tube came along with a smiley EQ that I had to eq out...

Far as cab's go. A pair of JBL 15's (D /E / K 140's) in smallish boxes worked really well for me with the 3500. THe boxes were slot ported and in the 2.3 to 3 cu ft range. Not a great deal of low bass (say 40 to 60 or 70) but the roll off was real smooth and the mid punch was great in a live context. I would think a 1x15 and 2x10 setup would be sweet.

To my ear the Hartke cabs wouldn't be the choice. They used to work for Stu Hamm though and one evening in Boston, they sounded pretty friggin good, not to mention loud ... course he was running 4 of the 4x10's and god knows how many amps in his rack... should have sat farther back, who'd a thunk it. All the guitar geeks were down front on the Satriani side leaving some pretty choice seating on the Hamm side.

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Oh yeah - I forgot ....
    I was in Newcastle back in February working with one of my clients. Had a great time there. It's a place I look forward to visiting again. Didn't get to hear any of the local music, but I put miles of walking on and in general had a great time. I particularly enjoyed walking out on the break water and then hanging with a few kite boarders for brew's on the beach. I'm in the Kite Boarding capital for North America so it was kind of fun to scope that local talent anyway.

16. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If you dig the Hartke sound then get a 4.5XL, best stand alone cab they make.

Hartke is a love it or hate it thing, I like em. And ffs don't try and sell this guy another head, you like the Hartke, you buy the Hartke :D. And don't compare the HA3500 and the 800RB, they're totally different amps, do you see a 10band eq or a blendable SS/Tube pre? NO! It even has less power ffs!

It's probably out of your price range but I'm gonna be trying out some tech soundsytems cabs over the next week when I visit Germany, I am hearing VERY good things about them.

17. i think i am seeing the love hate relationships people have with hartke....i dont see how people say the aluminium cones lack bottem end....man the 4.5xl was punchy as.....

ive even tried 2 vx210's and man they sounded sweet as