1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stand back, I'm going to attempt science! (mangling power cord content)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Eric!, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Sooo...I just got a Rusty Box the other day. FRIGGIN LOVE IT!!!

But anyway, it's got wonky power requirements. 24v-40v DC, positive center. I use a PP2+, and I have a coupling and reverse polarity cable, typically used to power old EHX pedals. So I was all excited to plug it in..but then!

The barrel on the Rusty Box's power supply's little hole is sliiightly larger than the one in my coupling cable. Which means the little phallic thingy inside the Rusty Box's power jack has a touch more girth than most pedals.

Is it unwise to switch the barrels on the power supplies? XD

2. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    the pedal uses 18v to 40v? Whaaaaaaaaa????

3. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Sorry, 24-40

4. If you do a google search you should be able to find what you need. I looked and came up with dozens of models, but I don't know all the specifics you need.

5. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I've never heard of this one. Looked it up on youtube. Want. But center positive? No.

No.

NO.

NOOOOO!!

6. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    You should HEAR it, bobtron!! I'm working out a demo, sometime soon!

7. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    The youtube videos did make it sound VERY good. I look forward to your demos, though the last thing I need is more overdrive GAS.

8. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    The demos don't show how dirty it gets or how much it LOVES fuzz :D

9. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Oh god. :help:

10. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    sorry, that was a typo on my part. The pedal can take from 24v to 40v dc? why? totally unneccessary...is all i take away from that. haha. hope you find something that'll work.

11. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    No, I had the typo first. :D

12. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    you, my friend, have skirted around the claim TWICE that it is totally and completely unnecessary. I shall sic bendhy on you!

13. It clearly is necessary, they'd be stupid to say it need 24v otherwise. Try it at 9v and I'm sure you'll realise that 24v is necessary ;).

14. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    What about using the accessory port on the PP2 and use its own adapter?

15. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    I do, but being a wallwart, it has the bottom of the wallwart on the ground, the way I have it set up. Though I'm gonna take the Dremel to it tomorrow and turn it sideways (it'll be fairly simple). I just would prefer the convenience of using the actual outputs for pedals! Nyergh.

I am in communication with Tronographic. They're researching PP2+ capabilities, they say. But I know for a fact it's capable. Someone on a different site tried calling me a dumb*** and told me all about the PP2+ (which I KNOW. I wouldn't own something like that and not know how it works...).

16. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    You tell 'em!

17. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    ..turns out they make the wider-pin cable for PP2+, I just had the wrong one. So I ordered one x.x

18. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Ah the old 2.1mm vs. 2.5mm DC plug debacle. Why they had to create 2 standards so close together i'll never know!

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021