1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stand for a Steinberger

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GM60466, Jun 14, 2012.

1. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Is there a instrument stand for headless basses?

2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Any stand that supports the bass from the bottom rather than hanging it from the headstock will work. These cheap old Hamilton KB-31s work fine:
    [​IMG]

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Thanks

4. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    You could just put it into a hercules stand upside down?

5. preside

preside

Aug 7, 2010
    Scottsdale Az
    Try going to the chapman stick website www.stick.com they have one that should do the trick, Ned and Emmet have done a lot of work together

6. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    One other option, if you don't mind doing it and you have a wood bodied Steinberger, is to add a second strap button to the bottom. It is a popular mod to most Steinbergers, and was first introduced by Dan Armstrong in 1969 with his Dan Armstrong Modified Danelectros and then in 1970 with his Ampeg Dan Armstrong Lucite guitars and basses.

I have done this to several of my XP and XQ series basses. Prevents damage to the bass and you can just lean it up against something without worry.

7. I agree up to a point. There is one problem: The bottom. Steinberger basses are very narrow, this creates additional restrictions.

Some stands have a bottom piece with 2 bars that rolls or swivels. You cannot put the Steinberger in the middle of the 2 bars (it's too narrow). If you put in on ONE bar, then this piece turns and the bass is effectively on the ground, tilted... and not very stable.

This one did NOT work for me:
    http://www.thomann.de/es/millenium_gitarrenstaender.htm

I also have this one, and it does not work for me either:
    http://www.thomann.de/es/millenium_gs2001e.htm

In this case I can put the bass on one of the 2 lower "horns" and nothing turns, but it should be very leaned to one side to be on the top central rubber piece. In this situation it is too unstable.

So with the 2 stands I have I prefer to leave the bass on the ground against my amp.

However the one in your picture could work: Bass on one "horn" (if it is not too low) and SLIGHTLY tilted.

8. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Allow me to clarify: The one in my picture does work, because I have a Steinberger L-2 (still) and used to own a Hamilton KB-31 and they worked fine.

One of the lower support arms of the Hamilton stand goes into the "notch" the 'berger's body right next to the tuning machines. Yes, the bass winds up tilted, not perfectly vertical.

But as TRichards implied, I eventually discovered it was more convenient and more stable to simply set the Steinberger on the ground, leaning up against a wall or speaker cabinet.

9. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Didn't all Steinbergers come with a purpose built stand from the factory?

10. pkstone

pkstone

Apr 13, 2011
    Sacramento
    I bought this one, thinking it would work as is:

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS402B.html

[​IMG]

But it turned out not to fit quite right -- the two holding arms are spread too far apart to fit and hold the bass securely. I ended up drilling holes on the two front legs closer in to the upright for the bottom-holding arms -- even this ended up being more complicated than I anticipated, as the spring for the spring-loaded buttons that make this stand so easy to pack up/unpack gets in the way of the drilling if you go too far back.

After all that, I have a good-fitting, very portable stand for my XL.

As others have mentioned, a traditional stand with the swiveling fork will actually work, with one arm of the fork supporting the bass, and the other grabbing it up the side.

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

12. number11

number11

Jun 17, 2010
  13. pkstone

pkstone

Apr 13, 2011
    Sacramento
    You got that right. $149 for an ugly metal stand? Wow. Get the Herc and drill a few holes, then spend the leftover c-note and change on a fancy dinner.

P.S. If anyone's interested, I'll post pictures and more details of the mods I did to make the Hercules stand fit my XL.

14. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
  15. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I have the exact opposite problem; i have a bunch of stands and no Steinbergers :(

;)

16. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I can't stand stands!! That's why I use GrabAxe and have for 4 or 5 years now.
    I've used it with anything from my 64P to an Aria sinsonido, on everything from a full stack with side handles to a tiny cube with top handle. In full disclosure I'm a co-inventor.
    I did a gig a few days ago with a great guitarist who gigs full time who's been using it for a few years now and he smiled when he said I'll never use a stand again. I hope I'm not breaking any rules here and sorry if I am but I bet it will work for you.

17. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Steinberger actually made little wire folding stands for the L/XL's and I still have one in the original package, but I'd never use it on a gig.

number11 is correct - years ago there was somebody at the Steinberger forum that was making/selling regular tubular bass stands but had the bottom U piece shaped small enough to fit into the bottom of the basses. I still use this one regularly for my XL and for any bass with an asymmetrical body.

Unfortunately, like all accessories relating back to the originals, the price keeps going up because fewer and fewer are available and they become niche items.

18. JaamE

JaamE Owner of the GK Angry Bird amp

Apr 13, 2011
    Olympia, WA
    that grabaxe looks cool, although i'd forget and leave it at the practice space :)

19. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Clermont, FL
    I finally found the perfect Steinberger stand! Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore... I found it at a home I was jamming at and bought it off the guy - it's the Ultimate XL29B stand. and is perfect for my Synapse. They even for a while made a maple wood version of the stand known as the AXW1, but I can't find that anywhere either.