stand for bass cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CAB, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Has anyone ever found a folding stand that can support a bass rig? In small, crowded clubs where there’s no room to stand out in front of the cabinet it’s often hard to hear enough bass – the sound just goes right past the ankles.

Searching old threads I’ve seen suggestions including extra speaker cabinets or road cases, but the goal would be to load less gear into the little rooms – not more. There seem to be a few guitar amp stands around but they don’t look heavy-duty enough for bass cabs, plus they’re all tilted which isn’t ideal for the head/cab setup.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If your speaker is inside a road case, there isn't any more gear to load in, its all inside one unit. Much heavier, though, and I did notice at least one manufacturer on Ebay making "light duty" road-style cases that weigh much less, less sturdy, but would appear to be OK for putting your rig on top.

In a pinch in a small place, I sometimes use the drummer's kick drum case and put one 4x10 on top of that . . . nothing else for me to carry . . .
  3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Bass (from about 200 Hz and down) frequencies are omnindirectional, so you'll hear them equally well no matter where the cab is. It's the midrange and high frequencies that are directional and which must be aimed at the head to hear. The problem if you lift the entire cab off the floor more than a foot or so is that you'll lose coupling of the speaker with the floor. That will cut your bass response, by as much as 3dB, equal to cutting your amp power by 50%. What you want to do is tilt the cab back so that you don't lose coupling with the floor while aiming the speakers at your head. It's not exactly a new concept. See: various Fender Musical Instrument Amplifiers, circa 1959-present.