1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stand for Playing 4-String

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thescottduncan, Apr 20, 2006.

1. thescottduncan

thescottduncan

Apr 13, 2004
    Hi. I tried searching forums and didn't find what I was looking for, hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

I play 4-string electric bass in two rock bands. I'm having serious, chronic back pain (muscular...no sciatic nerves or slipped disks etc.) for which I'm going through therapy. Playing music has become painful, but I'm trying not to quit my bands.

I'm looking for a stand that can hold my bass up for me while I play it. I've looked all over the internet but the only one I've been able to find rests the bass flat on its back, for tapping like Stanley Jordan. I'm not a tapper, so this doesn't help me. I'm looking for something that will hold the bass at an angle similar to what it's like when I've got it strapped over my shoulders normally. I'd like to be able to just walk right up to it and play it.

Does such a product exist? If so, what's it called and where can I find one?

Thanks in advance.

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    They do exist...I've seen musicians use it before, but I'm damned if I know where to get one...

3. I've seen Steve Harris do this before so he could play a section of a song on an acoustic without having to unsling his electric. So they DO exist, but I wouldn't know where to find one. Perhaps you could build it yourself? Probably wouldn't be too hard...

4. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    The guy who was in Trey Anastasios band back in 02 or thereabouts played his on a stand, big guy with back problems.

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    What about playing seated?

6. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    Yeah I'd also say play seated. I also have some trouble to play standing for a long time so I just sit on my amp and it's perfect that way, I even play better like that (wich is bad cause it's not helpful for my standing technique but yeah).

7. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Could one of those "back support" devices that you see people who work in stock rooms and the like that help support the back while lifting heavy objects work?

8. Well, the device "beyondhairy" linked to above looks like it would fit your needs. Otherwise I'd imagine playing seated should help alleviate your back pains. Or, maybe just find a lighter bass (you didn't mention what model you use, but there can be huge differences in weight between various bass guitar models).

9. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    A long time ago I met this bass player with similar problem and he had a special strap that went around his waist and connected to the back of his bass. I think Fender might of made it, but as I said it was a long time ago and I haven't seen one since. Doesn't seem like it would to hard to make something like this. Use a leather weight lifters belt. Put a straplock on the back to the belt and screw straplock button in the back of the bass. Then put the belt on backward with strap button in front.

i would say best to consider sitting down, you wouldn't be the first. Anthony Jackson has been doing it from the beginning. Melvin Lee Davis who plays Lee Rittenour I mainly see him play seated.

Where there's a will there's a way.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  11. thescottduncan

thescottduncan

Apr 13, 2004
    Thanks everyone, those are great suggestions. The Bass Brace and Boston Guitar links above didn't work for me (sites not found), but the MBrace seems like what I'm looking for (thanks, Beyondhairy).

I'm hoping to avoid sitting, I find that more painful.

I use three different basses: an Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow bass (just got it for rehearsals, never meant to play it at shows, but for some songs it's surprisingly cool); a Fender Jazz (Geddy Lee signature); and a 4-string Music Man Bongo.

The guys in both bands are already taking care of the heavy lifting for me on the amplifier front, so no worries there.

Should have picked the oboe!

12. I'm sure I saw the guitar player from Savage Garden (Australian pop band) use one in one of their vids on mtv a few years ago. He had a classical guitar permanantly set up on it, and used it for a solo where he swung his electric round on his back. Thought it was a bloody good idea, although the music wasnt to my taste...

13. if u ever saw metallica's live: s**t, binge, and purge dvd, during the unforgiven, it has an acoustic intro and also some parts in the middle are acoustic, he hangs his guitar low and the acoustic was set up on one of those stands and was much higher so no slinging was neede :p

its its very much my taste in music, hehe