stand residue???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by volumefiend, Dec 27, 2002.

1. what is that waxy residue that accumulates on the rubber cradle on my guitar stand?
  2. Hardware store. New vinyl/rubber tube.
  3. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    My stand rubber is almost white.. i just leave it alone, its only a stand.
  4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well tufnuts may have an answer, but I still think it's a good question - what IS that stuff? It must come from your bass - Your bass must get it from your hands - Hey, whats that waxy residue all over your hands?
  5. no no but it happens even if theres not an instrument on it. its like exposure to oxygen or something
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I think it may be part of the process of the rubber dry-rotting. I've seen tons of stands get like that, then start to get real hard and kinda crumbley.
  7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Maybe Armor-All would help this out. Cleans 'n protects!
  8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    That stuff sucks and CAN hurt a finish-I use a stand called "Hercules"-It has a interesting feature in its cam lock release as the headstock is placed in PLUS the body then rests safely against hypalon as opposed to being cradled in the rubber material which as stated can harm the finish.
    Also, the stand is super sturdy and rigid-
    Look into them for a better way.
  9. It's probably just oxidation (can't help that, air has oxygen in it) and oils from your hands.

That's a very cheap stand (if it cost more than $12, you paid too much). So it acts like it.
  10. I put some cloth from an old T-shirt on the rubber and taped it up, so no wierd stuff for me! I hope.