Stand up bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JazZ-A-LoT, Jan 26, 2003.

1. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    How much do stand up basses usualy cost, like on average????
  2. anywhere from a few hundred dollars to tens of thousands
    you'll probably have more luck here
  3. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    You can get a nice double bass for 3000 (up to 50,000:)). I'm not talking about plywood basses!!
    But if you're lucky you can find one for less than 3000....
    plywood double basses go from 300-1500 brand new, in general...
  4. I've got two and only need one. I'll sell you mine for $4000. If you want the one that sounds good and stays in tune I'll cut ya a deal at $9000.
  5. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    I wouldn't sell my double basses for less than 15,000 each but I can find you an old one (75 years old, great condition) for $4500.
    email me if you want the bass.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, since this has _NOTHING_ to do with bass guitars, it's off to the old folks home :D...
  7. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    I called the guy tonight and he wants to sell the bass for $4500 (no trades, 4500 sharp), but he needs the money now (by the end of this week!) otherwise he'll keep it. I know that bass, it's a German flat back built in 1925, repaired in Vienna by Daniel Bradley(1993) and is in great condition, new pirastros included, It should go for $7000 or more...
    I can give you his number (and email adress), he lives in NY (Brooklyn).
    I might get this bass....if nobody buy it till the end of the week.
  8. There was a day that meant 7 basses. Not anymore, I'm down to 2. But $10K still doesn't do it.
  9. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Just 10,000 for both:eek: i'm insulted.
    Yeah, act fast:D:D

By the way, I'm gonna get the German tomorrow.
  10. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    I'll send you a short sample of my new CD, you'll recognize me..:)
  11. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    hey i know daniel bradley!!! wow he made a name up to the other side of the big lake.... he also made a fine setup on my bass! is a canadian living here some kilometers from vienna...btw he makes also this indian sithar thingies...
    nice guy...

gruesze sebastian
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this illustrates nicely the misuse of the word "average" - so what the poster probably means is a "usual" price, but average is usually taken as the "mean".

So - that would mean adding up the price of all the basses in the world and then dividing by the number of basses. But clearly a few, very expensive basses would "skew" the distribution towards the high end.

What the poster more likely wants is the "mode" - most frequent price or even better, the "median" price - the centre quartile!! ;)
  13. Plywood basses(which i reccomend you do not get) cost around 500-750 dollars. Good basses range from 900+
  14. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i've seen the Bulgarians used in that price range.
  15. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  16. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    right. it does seem that way.

HEY ! You there ! What on earth are you talking about? BG or DB?

Thanks for the clarification.
  17. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Wish I could find one in my tri-state area in that price range.
  18. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    in my tri- state area (pa,nj,ny) it is hard to get milk at that price; had to buy a cow.;)
  19. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Our pal gk is posting on the Kay Basses thread. Wants to know what folks think of them, and is very glad he got an Engelhardt instead. (As far as I can tell.)

Do you smell fish? I do. Maybe cut him some slack and call it the "exuberance" of youth. Personally, I was almost a moron until age 25.