Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stand up Comedy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Insomniac, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Jerry Seinfeld

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Jim Gaffigan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lewis Black

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Dave Attell

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  5. George Carlin

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  6. Woody Allan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Mitch Hedburg

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  8. Chris Rock

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. Other

19 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. Any one here a big fan? If so, whos your favorite?

I personally think that Jerry Seinfeld is the new master of it....

2. What about Richard Pryor? He's the man, of the ones listed, I'd choose George Carlin. My current fave, though is David Cross.

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yeah, I second Richard Pryor. Jerry has always been a favorite of mine. It's his deliverance and analyzation of totally normal everyday occurances that gets me goin'.

TGFCC. (Thank God for Comedy Central)

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Greg Fitzsimmons is pretty darn funny.

Lewis Black is the only comic I went to see at a comedy club.

Where are the women on that list? Judy Tenuta and Jenniffer Saunders are up there with the best...

5. Jerry Seinfeld & Tim Allen :D

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I rented Robin Williams' HBO special, all I'm gonna say is watch that before you make your pick...

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've always found Williams' standup to be pretty substanceless. Never was able to figure out why everyone found it so funny. I've heard mixed reviews about this one too. I've heard a lot of older folk with completely different sensibilities than my own (ie Katie Couric etc...) say how great it was but I've heard people more my age give it a solid "meh..." I loved Mork and Mindy when I was a kid though.

brad cook

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hedberg!! Hilarious and absurd.

brad cook

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

There must have been some strange time and space cosmic gap if people older than you think its funny, but people younger than you (me) think its hilarious. I don't understand, but its okay, 1 billion people eat rice so it must be good, right? TEHO.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    lewis black is funny.

gets me nice and ANGRY!

:mad:

:p

11. dave chapelle, dane cook, kevin nealon
    good stuff

12. What about pablo fransico? The movie voice guy and the mexican soap bits are comedy gold to me.

I watch comedy central about 50% of the time!

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My "big four" were Andrew Dice Clay, Sam Kinison, Richard Pryor (I've seen Moving about two-dozen times) and George Carlin. I saw George in Milwaukee and Sam in Green Bay and had tickets to see Dice (front row, center stage), but he canceled the show, due to "back trouble" and it was never rescheduled. My mom and I waited in line for five hours to get those damn tickets! I also like Denis Leary, Dave Chapelle and who can forget Kevin Meany! Woooooooo!

I still like George Carlin, but he's not as funny as he used to be (he's a little too political for my taste). I wish Richard Pryor all the luck in the world, as he battles MS and I still remember where I was and what I was doing when I found out Sam Kinison had been killed by a drunk driver.

14. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Steve Sweeney - although outside of Route 128 in Boston his humor probably loses a bit.

Sean Cullen - His songs make me laugh so hard I make boom on the rug.

15. Jim Bruer (?) is quite funny. I don't know if he still does standup but Brad Garrett is nuts!!

16. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Eddie Izzard - Executive Action Transvestite

17. that guy is an absolute riot
    "Rual? PORQUUUUEEEEE!"

18. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    mitch hedburg and dave chappelle!

cheers me up anyday.

19. is mitch hedburg the guy that talked about taking acid with his friends and going in the woods and meeting smokey the bear? if so, that guy is absolutely incredible.
    for some reason i'm not remembering any good standup guys until other people say them, then i go "oh yeaaaah". :p

20. Bill Hicks and Lenny Bruce!

Ok, so their acts are a little stiff these days, but they were the greatest.

Billy Connolly's good for a giggle too, but his act hasnt changed a great deal in 20 years.