stand ups

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bob_The_Cow, Dec 10, 2000.

1. Bob_The_Cow

Jun 8, 2000
    good afternnon or evening or whatever it is. i was wondering if anyone knew anything about stand up basses. ive become really interested in them over the past couple of weeks after hearing them on miscellaneous commercials and on some christmas jazz songs and stuff like that. Does anyone know who makes them or what kind of price ranges there are for good stand ups or what its like to play one or even some of the great players of stand up basses or some songs i can dl to listen to i mean ANYTHING! maybe a website? just give me what you got and ill be glad to check it out. thanks!
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A good place to start would be in the Double Bass (DB) part of the forum (down below the BG part).
  3. I´ve been sneakin in to this forum from time to time for at least a year from now. Back two or three forums ago I was even a member for awhile, before everything got too difficult for me ( mostly because of my Very Slow 28 kb modem which I used by that time ) and I did not bother to register again and again, while the server changed. Also, I´m not very talented computerwise ( if at all ), so reading other peoples smart questions and smarter answers has been my only
    enjoyment for long.
    Havin said that, I wonder where these people come with their questions like "I just saw someone play a stand-up bass, it was wonderful & now I want to play one too". Please, spend some time reading people´s profiles and their postings before starting that kind of thread. As Ed Fugua put it in another way in another thread: it´s just as good as asking it in the Volkswagen consumer ( or whatever ) forum, since this is ( or was ) a section for double bass players. How I understand it, this just might not be forum for asking what a double bass is or how to buy a record in which someone will play double bass in track #2: Jingle Bells. There will a lot of resources in the Net where to find out what kind of instrument people are talkin about here. Ed´s last post was a very kind answer, though he might have written the same words for at least 100 times to the same forum as an answer to similar questions.
    Anyhow, peace to everyone, I´ve enjoyed this forum before & learned a lot from regular posters in here. I sure hope that all new members will find out that there are intelligent and talented double bass oriented people ( even though sometimes a bit cranky ) over here. Just don´t get angry if you got strange answers for that kind of questions.
  4. Here's a different approach that might better help you. BUT, it depends totally on you accepting the fact that you will have to find a teacher and take lessons. Your average DB player has no interest in discussing basses with someone who thinks it's something you just pick up and fool around with. Instead of looking for a bass, go looking for a teacher. Your school, local amateur orchestra, etc. should be able to help you. Discuss what it takes to learn the instrument. If you're still interested, the prospective teacher should be able to steer you appropriately.
  5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    This is the best advise you're gonna get: Find a teacher. There are a lot of bad instruments and bad habits a teacher will keep you from being burdened with.