Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Standalone 2TEK bridges for sale!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by misterk73, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

2tek bridges must be like hell to install by yourself.

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    It's not recommended for the do-it-yourselfer. Also, if those items don't come with the templates, be prepared to spend A LOT getting them. There are a handful of authorized installers of them, and I know of a couple. This would be your best option. If any of us here bid, and win, one of these, I can steer you to someone.

3. What are the advantages to this type of bridge?

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A big ass sustain.

NO string crossing at all.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The 2Tek bridge has independent tone arms for each string. This gives you independent string vibration and amazing sustain. You get a very pure tone from each string, but you might lose some of the tonal qualities that come from sympathetic vibration.

6. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    A couple years ago, I actually spoke with the guy at Boogie Body Guitars who invented the 2TEK -- Len? Boogie Body Guitars' official recommendation was to ship the bass to them for installation (and I don't think that was strictly in the interest of capturing new business -- the install requires extensive routing and there were some other requirements for things like thickness of the bass body to account for)...

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The Hamer w/ 2tek I played was probably the heaviest 4 string I have ever lifted.

8. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    A Hamer Cruisebass 4 with the 2TEK is my primary instrument, and it's heavy alright. I guess I'm used to it at this point and never really found it cause for concern in the first place -- perhaps, with my 6'4" frame, I can handle that sort of weight better than some of the smaller players out there. To me, though, the weight is well worth it for the clarity and sustain I get with the bridge.