Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Standalones: 2x10 and 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FungusHumungous, Jun 15, 2004.

1. So I've got my eye on a new portable rig as my Peavey TNT115s has gone kaput.
    Let me give you an idea of my criteria and objectives and junk first:
    I am currently in a hard rock band(battling marshall half stack, line 6 spyder, and loud drummer). I was able to keep up volume wise with the TNT.
    I only play 4 string. I do not detune.
    I also enjoy playing funk and jazz.
    I am limited in funds to about 450$ and less.
    Portability is a must. the cab can be heavy(no more than 75lbs) as long as its portable

So here's my deal.
    I originally started looking at 1x12 and Aguilar came to mind. I worried about volume though.
    Then I started looking at 2x10. I worried about low end(with some) but found Eden claimed to have the best standalone 2x10s around.
    Chances are I'll make my decision by this Friday as I'll have the chance to play the head I want to buy with several different 2x10 and 1x12.

Any suggestions? Advice? War stories?

Glenn

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    If it were me, I'd probably go the 210 route. I love 10's.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You'll need more than 2x10s battling a Marshall half stack.

How about one of the barely used Avatar 2x12s that I have listed for sale in the classifieds ;)

Seriously, it would be a great cabinet for the job, is portable and I believe weighs 75 lbs or less...

4. If you go the Avatar route, make sure that you have plenty of power to push those things. They aren't very efficient, so you need extra power to get the volume that you would with a more efficient cab (i.e. the 210s you've been looking at).

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I use a 4ohm Avatar B210. My guitarist uses a Soldano head and a Marshall cab. He doesn't play insanely loud but he is pretty proud of it and wants you to notice it. I use it with a Beh***ger 300 watt head with the cabinet on amp stand pointed at my head. This cab does not have super low end but functions well for me.

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I use a Eden 210xst and while its touted as being one of the more efficient cabs out there, you'll need a lot of power to make it loud.

right now i'm feeding 350 watts into it and i can clip the amp pretty easily at moderate volumes, the cab is rated at 450 watts i believe so i'm thinking something on the order of 700 watts or more would make it sing.

power is the key.

7. If you're playing rock gigs I don't think there's any 210 out there that'll do, save up for a 410, as your fifteen actually had better spread than a 210. You'll be heard even less on stage. This is only my opinion though. :cool:

8. hmm....
    now I'm doubting the route I was originally going to take.

Glenn

PS_help- any suggestions/alternatives or do you think I'm headed in the write direction?

9. at bump city!

i need some more advice. and I'm going gear shopping today with a friend to see what other choices i have.

Glenn

10. Uzo

Uzo

Jan 1, 2004
    Finland
    I´ve got the EA CXL112L cab and it works great as a standalone. Great cab with a huge sound and it can take a lot of power. It beats all the 2 X 10 cabs I´ve tried

11. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    ive got two Aguilar 1x12s and my guitarist plays a Marshall 1/2 stack and we just picked up a second guitarist. My master is say 1/4 of the way up and i still have more volume to spare so no problem with getting squashed. We play punk/aggressive rock.

12. The question with this is, what kind of amp/setup are you running. How much power are you pushing into the Aggies?

13. took the words right out of my mouth

14. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I use the aguilar 1x12 & 2x10 together & its huge. It will go toe to toe with any 410 in terms of volume. I think a 4x10 will definatly be punchier though.

I'm also bridging a QSC PLX 2402 into those cabs so they are getting way more power than they need. I play in a 7 piece band & I never have issues cutting through.

But they sound great together....each cab making up for the others deficiencies. The 2x10 being nice & punchy & the 1x12 being super thick & deep.

15. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Two Epifani T112 cabinets is a very flexible, portable and amazing sounding rig. That would be my first choice. Epifani also makes a killer 210.

16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    If you can find those for his price limit of $450, I'll buy them

17. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    The lowest 2x10 will go lower than the lowest 1x12. And the loudest 2x10 will be louder than the loudest 1x12. Of course, the lower you go, the more power you need to get loud, and cabs that get great lows usually aren't the loudest.

So in otherwords... use your ear.

18. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    im using a Mesa Walkabout. so thats.....150w in each cab? they are 8ohm cabs and the head is 300w at 4ohms. i hate ohm breakdowns.

19. I have an Aguilar GS 210 that I'm selling for $385 shipped in the continental US. I don't know if you've made your decision yet, but this might fit your bill perfectly AND it's under your price ceiling.

20. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Avatars are VERY effecient. See the ratings.