1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Standard C# tuning 4 string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Premonition23, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Premonition23

Premonition23

Oct 24, 2013
    Hi,

I was just wondering what would be the best set up for this tuning for a 4 string bass. Would it be a 34" scale with heavier gauge strings, or would it be a 35" scale with lighter strings?
    Also what gauge strings would be recommended?

Many thanks

2. :rolleyes:well a .254 @ 34" has 42.3 lbs of tension
    :smug:and a .244 @ 35" has 41.5 lbs of tension
    personally I would go for a longer scale if your going to tune that low;)

3. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    I play dropped c# with std 45-105 gauges on 34" scale basses.

4. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I don't believe OP intended to go to THAT C#. :D

If we're talking System of a Down or Black Sabbath level of C#, a .55 .75 .95 .125 set would likely do well.

5. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    When my cover band was tuned to D standard, I used a set of .110-.50 on a 34" scale bass. When we transitioned to an all original project that is tuned down to C standard, I switched to 2 Spector 35" scale 4 strings (Euro 435lx) with a set of .115-.55. Now assuming you aren't buying a new bass, I'd think you'd want to experiment with some guages. Maybe your low E (or rather C# in this case) should be between a .115 and .125.

I just read a recent interview with Geezer Butler and he is using .115 sets with his 34" Laklands and they are tuned to C.

FYI - Bass Strings Online is a great place to order custom sized sets.

6. But if you do choose THAT C# you apparently need to let the soundman know about it:rolleyes:

7. Premonition23

Premonition23

Oct 24, 2013
    Thank you, I was thinking of getting a second bass anyway to help speed up changing between tunings for gigs etc...

8. errol41

errol41

Nov 1, 2013
    Really helpful forum.

9. I have two basses set up for C#. One is 34" jazz bass and one is 33 1/4" Ric. I have a .110 set on the Ric (which works fine for me) and a .120 set on the jazz (which I find to be a little too high tension).

I found it was easy to get .110 sets, but not many companies make .115 sets, so you're buying single strings (which is more expensive). For that reason, I'd try .110 first and see what you think.

10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Just to clear up : Do you mean Standard C# as in C# - F# - B - E or do you mean Drop C# (so all the string tuned down with 1½ step): C# - G# - F - C# ?

If you mean that last one, I would go with something like .110 - .090 - .075 -. 055

11. Premonition23

Premonition23

Oct 24, 2013
    I mean standard C# sorry for any confusion

12. I set up my Warwick Streamer LX for C# standard, using D'Addario Balanced Tension nickel wound medium gauge strings. 120-90-67-50. Seems to do the trick. I check the neck every so often, try not to keep the house too cold. All seems well enough.

13. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    So really the C# - F# - B - E tuning?

Then I would recommend some really heavy stuff. Contact Knuckle_Head here on TB, the owner of Circle K strings. He can help you for sure with your strings :)

I think somewhere around .220 - .175 - .135 - .110 will do it ;)

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

It all pretty much comes down to personal preference but you don't need gauges that heavy for a clean C# and F# string.

15. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Hey, you know better than me :D

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

No that's not my attitude at all. And I got the smilie :)

17. That is true but I would like to add that not all basses work well for subcontra tuning.Some basses sound good with low tension strings others require high tension to keep the notes clean.Putting over sized strings on your bass will likely make your tone sound choked or subdued.So get to know your bass.

18. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I know, Jauqo :) I meant it on a friendly way since your sub contrabass (if that's how it's called) is tuned like that :D That's why I said that ;)

19. Why go to insanely low c#? You would need a subwoofer for that note, I think. Am not saying the Guy is insane those.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Oh no Thomas I got it and we are definitely kool.