Standard effect for punk music

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by b to g is yummy, Dec 30, 2007.

1. My band is definitly not punk, however at times i crave that punk tone for certain parts of some songs. I don't wanna eq my amp all wacky cuz obviously this is a secondary tone. I do have a sansamp, but i haven't sound anything to killer grindy yet. I'm playing a maple neck Lakland 55-01.

Is there any certain effects that are a standard in punk besides a lot of mids and a fender bass?

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    The only thing I would say might be a standard is some kind of distortion pedal. Punk doesn't seem to be a a genre for heavy effects use, but a good distortion would be a perfect fit.

3. Just get a decent OD to drive your tone a bit, play hard with a pick and boost treble. I wouldn't say there is a 'standard' bass effect for punk, in fact a driven tube amp/an overdrive pedal is the only realy 'effect' I can think of being useable.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    If you're not playing with a pick, you definitely NEED to give that a try. Most of the famous punk bands defined their grind with a pick, from The Dead Kennedys to Rancid to The Offspring.

Other than that, an overdrive pedal with a gritty edge may be useful to you (especially if your usual tone is rather clean), but it's not necessary.

BTW, was there a particular band that you were thinking of when you thought of a "punk" tone?

5. Yes, i definitly have tried the pick thing, it does help. I am a casual pick user/experimenter... (friday nite i sliced my middle right finger on a skate blade so pick kno-how was a plus for band practise the next day!)

I'm not really thinking of any certain song/band in particular...just that tone that you hear kickin in every now and then in a lot of songs. i should find a clip or a song title i suppose...

What about pickups? when trying for that sound i tend to solo the back pickup. Bad idea??

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Hmm... not necessarily, but the P-bass is one of those definitive punk-bass instruments. You may be better off using the neck pickup, but then attacking the strings towards the bridge (although not too close). Don't limit yourself to that, however; I've seen punk bassists attack pretty close to the neck, too.

Try the neck pickup and experiment with your attack position. Try a few different spots towards the bridge and towards the neck to find the one that works best for you. I'd also suggest going here:

www.pandora.com

Look up a few punk bands, sit back for a while, and listen to the tones you hear. Nothing beats a fresh sonic reference to nail the tone you're looking for. :bassist:

EDIT: One more idea... try a few different pick types and gauges as well. The pick really does make a difference! I personally use Dunlop Tortex .88mm (green) picks, although sometimes I'll pick up a 1.0mm (blue) one as well. The green ones have an especially pronounced attack that I like.

7. meanspirit

meanspirit

Dec 14, 2006
    East Coaster
    When I think of the quitessential "punk" bass sound, I think of JJ Burnall of The Stranglers. In other words: a Fender P played with a pick through a HiWatt tube amp turned up really, really loud. Check out the albums "No More Heroes" or "Black & White" for reference. Brilliant stuff.

8. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    OD and a pick?

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That would be my suggestion as well.

For more of an old school tone I think of a P w/ rounds or flats played with a pick through a tube amp.

For a more modern punk tone (or at least the tone I liked) I think of a bridge heavy, more trebly tone played through a SS amp with a hint of overdrive. Check this page and click on the link for Pick Punk with bridge pickup and rounds to hear what I mean.

10. I'd say seek out an OD that cuts your low end a bit. When I think of the punk tone I think of that trebly, snarly grind. And liek everyone else has said, use a pick. Any one passive bass should do though, to be honest.

11. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1. In fact, the reason I'd +1 overdrive that cuts low end is that IMO "punk" bass is usually a cheap bass with dead strings, played with a pick, through a crappy amp. Get some snarl on. But it's not necessarily an "effect" at all.

12. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Best effect for punk music?

A hot Ampeg V4 and a P bass.

13. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    magic frequency - 2khz

14. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    -Pick
    -DHA VT-1?

15. dunce180

dunce180

Jul 24, 2007
    I myself used to play in a post punk band (think rise against meets senses fail). I have a p bass with ernie ball hybrid slinkys, use 1.00 to .50 mm picks, the heaver the gauge the heaver the sound is going to be. I would pick close to the bridge (maybe 4 inches to the left of the bridge). Cut some lowmids on your amp, boost your treble to taste. I normally just kept everthing else flat, but that might just be me. Use a nice dirt pedal, maybe even a fuzz. Play fast and you got the tone lol.

16. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    In the 6 or 7 punk bands I've played in, I've found that "punk rock tone" is all a matter of perspective. I've used everything from simple amp overdrive to extremely heavy distortion, and sometimes just an EQ pedal set up with the mids and highs turned down a little bit. I'd suggest trying all of them to figure out which one you think sounds best for what you're trying to do.

17. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Last pedal on the left

[​IMG]

18. haha sweet...there it is!

19. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Man, I thought I needed a Big Ben for reggae....

20. I personally like pop-punk like Greenday and B-182, but I also listen to The Casualties and a few other punk bands (Flogging Molly also).

What I hear is treble and Mid range (on the hi-mid side) paired with a plopy/snap picking.
    So with this I would say get a pedal with some funk in it, possibly a blues pedal, a morley power wah (If you feel adventurous), and a OD pedal that will give you an EQ boost and some gain. Pair this with a pick and some possible slaping and you got it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021