standard fender jazz fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slapbass81, Nov 26, 2000.

1. slapbass81

Nov 23, 2000
    has anyone played this bass, i have been playing for a long time but i want to buy a relativly low cost bass to see if i like playing fretless. i will probably be getting it with lines, even though i dont look at the fret board if i am out of tune i can just check out on the fretboard if i am in the right spot. but is this a good fretless bass for its price becuase i love fenders.
  2. slapbass81

Nov 23, 2000
    or should i buy a carvin instead
  3. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    The standard J is a MIM bass and costs a good deal less than the Carvin.It is a very good bass.BP Mag tested it along with some others including one of the Carvins.The J as well as the Yamaha both beat it in tone with the Yamaha being the overall winner.Good luck!
  4. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Anyone know where I can find one of these online? I'm with SB in that I'd like a cheap, good fretless to see if I fretless might be my thang (and I love Fenders, too!), but the guitar shops over here mostly suck and don't carry ANY fretless basses, much less a Fender J Fretless. It's a real shame, it is. =/
  5. Another pretty good fretless bass (that is also pretty inexpensive) is a Washburn. I think it's the XB 200 model that they make a fretless version of. It has p/j pickups. I got one, and put some emg selects in it, and I like it a lot. It would cost close to the same as the Fender standard Jazz bass (about $300 i think). I'm not sure how the two would compare though. I've only played the fender fretless a couple times in the store and it's been a while so I can't really remember how good it was.
  6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I can't remember whether it was the MIM or MIA Fender that I played, but I was very impressed. I already own one Fender, but if I was going to buy another, it would definitely be that.
  7. slapbass81

Nov 23, 2000
    what does mim and mia mean, im having a brain fart right now.
  8. MIM means Made In Mexico, MIA means Made In America, MIJ means Made In Japan, MIJITSO means Made In Japan In The Style Of - referring to re-issues from Japan.
  9. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    of course, your final decision of what bass to buy should be based strictly on your tastes in tone and playing style, but, I've played a few fretless basses, and the two that I personally HATED the most were Fender Jazz Deluxe and the
    Yamaha TRB. The Fender is fine if you're a weightlifter that wants to beat the tar out of your bass, it weighs a ton (big surprise) and the action is high and heavy,
    you really have to dig in to the strings.
    The Yamaha on the other hand was really light action, but the "floating" pickups clacked unmercifully during "spirited" playing. In fairness, both of these basses were in a music store (Sam Ash) and therefore had not been set up for my particular style of play.
    Of the fretlesses that I have played, I preferred Washburn.
  10. Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    You might want to go for one used through either e-bay, yahoo auctions or something similar. I bought mine used --in excellent condition-- that way, with gig bag, for only $180.00. You may just have to wait a bit until one comes up at the right starting price.