Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Standard Fender Jazz options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DougD, Dec 11, 2002.

1. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Anyone know why the standard Fender Jazz doesn’t have the maple fingerboard option? Is it because of cost? I sure would like one. Anyone else?

2. The Standard Jazz and the Standard Precision only come with rosewood. They are the lower cost Mexican made line of instruments, and so they don't have as many options as the nicer lines do. If you want a maple fretboard on your Jazz, there's several American models, but they cost more.

3. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Yea. But it sure would be nice to have that option:)

4. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I wonder if the fretboard could be changed without damaging the neck:D

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Any good, experienced luthier can replace a fingerboard. But it is a very labor intensive job, and the bass would not be worth the cost of the modification.

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    You can find replacement Jazz maple necks on eBay for around a $100-$120, if it really matters that much to you. In my opinion, to really bring out the difference in sound, you'd also need to get better pups, do a shielding job, maybe even change the bridge. By the time you do all that, you are spending as much as on a good used American Jazz...

7. With the newer Std. Jazz Basses, I think the pickups are fine and I can never figure out all the fuss about changing bridges; shielding never hurts. You can find Fender licensed Mighty Mite Jazz necks all over e-Bay for about $100.00; they are direct bolt-on replacements. You can then sell your rosewood neck and recoup most of your expenditure. This is my .02, YMMV.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    My point was that it would be tough to hear a difference between a rosewood and a maple neck with standard pups/bridge etc. If the reason for looking for maple is purely esthetic (looks)...well...that's a different story.

9. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    The reason is that all my basses have rosewood boards. I just wanted to try something different without spending too much dough (wit mah cheap ass):)

10. A lot of people disagree with me on this, but I can't hear any difference between rosewood and maple fingerboards on fretted basses and damned little on fretlesses. On a fretted fingerboard, neither your fingers nor the strings ever touch the fingerboard, only the frets. My point was that it would be very cheap and easy for him to try a maple board, and even cheaper if he sold his fretted neck.