1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Standard Fender P tort guard on a Road Worn P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ric426, Oct 26, 2013.

1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Anyone know if the mounting holes on a Fender tort P pickguard will line up with those from an anodized '59 style pickguard on a Road Worn P? If not, I can just make my own pickguard, but I'd prefer to avoid the extra work if possible.

2. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    No. Fender Tort Precision pickguards are almost entirely 13 holes, like the 60's Precisions. A '57 style pickguard, like the one on the Roadworn Precision, has a 10 hole configuration. I just had a tort guard custom cut for my Classic 50's Precision body by Chandler/Pickguard heaven.

3. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    I believe they line up you just have 3 extra holes because the 50's anodized pg only has 10 holes but i'm not an expert

4. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks for the info. If I buy the RW P bass I've got my eye on I'll just make my own. I enjoy making pickguards, but I don't have templates or a CNC router, so P and J pickup cutouts can be a pain.

5. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    In my experience, 9 of the 13 holes line up. The one that you have to be careful of is at the tip of the guard by the jack. When I bought my RW, someone had replaced the gold anno with a 13 hole tort guard, and it didn't fit right and the tip ended up breaking off by the jack.

I found a 10 hole replacement (made for RWs) on eBay in black, and I went with that. It turned out to be a WD pg, but I got it for $10 less than WD wanted to charge me for one.
    Fender%2520RW%2520PG.

6. Pattycakes

Pattycakes

Jun 22, 2013
    i don't have a road worn but i do have a 50's precision. i swapped the gold guard for a different one and the holes didn't all line up right, i had to make a couple new holes.

the only one that i couldn't do that with was the hole to the left of the control knobs- that screw hole ends up going into the control cavity rather than the body itself.

7. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    All the holes line up, but the 10-hole has a screw between the pots that's non-existent on the 13er.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    WD Music makes a nice assortment of pickguards specifically for Road Worn and Classic 50s basses. I, on the other hand, REALLY want a genuine Fender Road Worn 57 P-Bass gold anodized pickguard for a project bass. Allow me to insert a link to said WD Products page. Quite possibly I can absorb the expense of your new pickguard purchase!

http://www.wdmusic.com/pickguard_pbrw_1000.html

9. 2cooltoolz

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    ^^^^^
    (In other words, sell me your Road Worn P-Bass gold pickguard. I will pay the full price of your aftermarket purchase.)

10. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Not for nothing, but after some work, I found a 13 hole ano gold P bass pickguard.
    All the holes match up perfectly on my bass. Appears to be a genuine Fender part, and the seller claimed it was.

11. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I have always wanted to see the Road Worn 'P' with a tort guard.

Please post a pic of the P with the new tort on it! Or if anyone has a RW P with a tort, please post one up.

Thanks all!

12. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    I just ordered a black matte pickguard from WD for my RW P/J . I was going to do a three ply with cream in the middle but I kept it simple. I'll post pics in about a week or so.

13. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

14. 2cooltoolz

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    This thread made me curious after I posted #8, above, when it came out. I have a '57 AVRI body and a '57 Road Worn neck, and my plan was to match the hardware to the reliced tuning machines on the neck. So I started my search for a Road Worn anodized pickguard. It seemed fruitless and after a while, I ordered a 10 hole black one from WD. It's well made, perfect fit, and nice quality, but the black on my bass didn't knock my lights out. No luck yet on the RW pickguard, so I ordered a tortoiseshell WD 10 hole. While waiting on it, I put a "want to buy" ad up here, in the classifieds. Sure enough, I found my RW gold anodized! Hell, it arrived before the tortoise!

Anyway, while this was going on, I found this page on the Fender site:
    http://www.fender.com/news/all-about-tortoiseshell/

"Celluloid had vexing drawbacks, however—aside from being so extraordinarily flammable that few dared work with it, it was prone to shrinking, warping and cracking. Consequently, Fender switched to less temperamental plastics for its multi-ply pickguards around 1965. The faux tortoiseshell top layer of these improved pickguards, however, remained celluloid (as it does to this day), which originally presented a problem: As the celluloid faux-tortoiseshell layer inevitably tried to shrink, it would warp the non-shrinking plastic layers beneath it into a bowl shape. Fender designers of the 1960s compensated for this troublesome tendency by increasing the number of pickguard screws, which did the trick." (emphasis added).

I think I just talked myself into putting my two in the classifieds tomorrow!:D

Whew! I think this is my longest post ever.

15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Not a Roadworn, but here's my Classic '50s with a tort guard. Not sure what kind of guard it is though. It was on the bass when I found it used.

100_1123.

16. 2cooltoolz

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Wow, that's a beautiful bass! I may keep my tort guard after all! Here's my AVRI/Road Worn, with the WD Black PG, then the Gold Ano RW. Very similar to yours! The tortoise would probably look nice, I just never tried it!

Same bass, different flash settings (the gold isn't that shiny, I had the flash dialed up to catch the ash grain).

attachment.

Attached Files:

17. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    This is the tort guard that I got from Chandler for my MIM Classic 50's P-Bass body (lacquer finish):

182_zpsb8715776.

Mind you, in this photo the film protection is still on the pickguard. As for the body? It came drilled for the standard 50's 10 hole configuration. And when I placed the order I also had them add the holes for the pickup cover and tug bar. All in all, I'm really happy with the way this one turned out.

18. 2cooltoolz

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Wow! That's going to look nice! What neck are you using? Pics when complete!

19. ROOTSnFIFTHS

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Great and thank you! Just bought one from the classifieds here.
    I like the tort for sure but the andonized guard is growing on me.

20. ROOTSnFIFTHS

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    And thank you Jeff. Sweet looking bass for sure. Bet it plays/sounds better than it looks.