Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Standard Jazz Bass Quick question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hello again, While I was at guitar center looking at amps, I saw a used fender jazz bass that I'll have enough money to buy along with my amp, but when I plugged that jazz into the SVT, it was just this disguisting sounding rap bass. The sound im going for is an tube overdriven midrange punchy all around good-ness. So can I get this with a stock jazz bass? I didn't get to mess with the eq at all becuase the sales person was standing there blabbering on and on about how loud the amp could go. Im thinking max the gain and turn the mids up a bit, pull the bass back a little bit and the treble up a little, and tone knob and volumes on full should get me what im looking for?

I also saw a used Peavy P-bass, it was 150 dollars, and I could also afford that instead of the jazz bass, this bass was way up high, so I didn't feel like asking them to take it down for me, so im wondering if any of you have played it. What do you think about it?

2. Midrange is what the jazz bass is all about. I would sugest going back to gc and trying that same amp but set the eq flat so you can hear the natural tone of the bass and then try and add what you want with the eq. You wont be disapointed with the jazz it very flexable.

3. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Who are some punk rock bassists that used a jazz bass. Just so I can get an idea of what it'll sound like. I understand I need to actually play it and find my own sound. But I still need an idea.

The Ramones is the sound im going after. Something in that region anyways. Rancid's bassist plays a jazz bass I think? I love that sound too. So im gonna give it another shot, if its still there.

What are some other basses that can give me that sound, I only have 200-250 for a used bass. So I cant go with a musicman, witch would be Ideal for me, but to much money right now.

4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    save a little more money and get a OLP :bassist:

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    From your description it sounds like maybe a P bass would be more to your tastes.

6. +1 if your trying to get a Ramones sound a p-bass is what your looking for.

7. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    "Punk" Has traditionaly been played with a P-Bass. I'd advise you to get one with a maple fingerboard.

8. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well im gonna see what I can afford, but I played the OLP Basses and I didn't like them that much. I Have played real musicman basses, so I know its not just the style of the bass I dont like.

My brother has a squire P-bass that sounds pretty cool. Doesn't have the mid range I want, but I think a new pick-up would do it.

But as I said, GC has a jazz bass and a P-bass I could afford, and Im also going to give the OLP another shot. But I know once im at the store its going to be bought on impulse.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Danny Adriano from Alkaline Trio has always used a jazz bass, if that helps you figger out what you're looking for.

10. Generally, punk is split between P and J. The P is known as the old-school punk bass, but many use it today. The J is used a lot in modern appointments, and sounds great as well

Bassists that have used P's: Dee Dee Ramone, Geoff Kresge (AFI's first albums), Mark Hoppus (Blink 182), David Desrosiers (Simple Plan), Paul Simono, (The Clash), Randy Bradbury (Pennywise), Jay Bentley (Bad Religion), Cone (Sum41), Mike Dirnt (Green Day) etc. A fatter, punchier kinda tone.

J's: Hunter Burgan (later AFI), Matt Freeman (Rancid), Danny Adriano (Alkaline Trio), Joe Principe (88 Fingers Louie/Rise Against), etc. More midrange, thinner and growlier kind of sound.

I like the Jazz for the feel of the neck, which is a bit thinner and faster, but the P tone is great for punk. Both are good choices as it's what you make of it, but check out some of these bassists and see which fits the bill better.

11. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    thats the problem. The 2 sounds Im picking between. Are Hoppus's, and Rancids. And I dont mean there exact sound, I would find there sound than find my own using there's as a guide for me.

Anyways, I guess I just need to see what fits my band and me better. I dont know. Maybe if I got a song of ours online you guys could tell what you think would fit better.

Oh I have one last question. When I used my brothers Squire P-Bass during band practice. I found the sound was a little to trebly/thin sounding. And that my art core with a humbucker fit the bill for my band better. So my question is should I go with an OLP since its got a humbucker? And/Or witch would I get a thicker sound out of, jazz bass, stock, or P-bass with seymore duncan quarter pounder?

And for those of you who say stick with the artcore. I would, but Its far to huge for me to use live. I need a smaller bodied bass, that is the only reason I want a new one.