Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Standard Jazz MIM Fret Buzzing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicfive, Mar 16, 2005.

1. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I heard it can be it or miss with the MIM basses....but GEEZ!

I just picked up a Fender Standard Jazz over the weekend (my first four string in 15 years!) at a Sam Ash here in Florida. Metallic Green, nice looking bass and nice sounding, punchy as hell. I was having fun slapping on this thing after doing it on a 5 for all these years. Well, I should have played the bass more in the store, when I took it home I noticed some bad things. Notes on the D and G string were fretting out way up high (19th fret and higher). The string was hitting the fret after it, so all I got is a twang-buzz thing. I tweeked the neck (I like low action) and the rest of the bass playing great. But try to solo up high...arggg. Those high frets really are not effected by the neck bow since they are so close to the body of the bass. Do I live with it, raise the action or bring it back?

Well I took it back to the store and the sales guy who hooked me up said lets try another one. So he got a nice tobacco-burst right out of a new box....BAD. Same problem. Bass two, a metalic Blue one out of the box.....BAD. Same problem but even worse. Bass three, another blue one.....BAD. Again same problem!

Oh well, I like the bass enought that I decided to keep it, but see if the tech there can try to fix it. I think if those problem frets are shaved down a bit, it should be playable. I see when I get it back. As far as fret buzz I guess I am spoiled with my Alembic and Carvin.

So has anyone else suffered this with the MIM Jazzes? :crying:

2. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    This post should probably be in setup. You should check out the discussion at the top of the setup thread.
    That said, it sound like the saddles of the g and d strings need to be raised. If its only the last two highest frets that are buzzing. I can't guess what else it could be. After that is done, you may be able to take some bow out of the neck to make the g and d strings a little easier to play.
    Normally you set the neck bow first, but in this case I would just see if by raising the offending saddles you solve the problem.

3. thinkvisual

thinkvisual

Feb 16, 2005
    alembic5,
    I've got the same problem with my MIM Precision and like you, I too like my action on the lower side of the gauge. Mine frets out slightly on the A and D strings at the 17th fret and yes, I've set the neck relief using a micrometer gauge but the problem persists. Given that MIM's seem to be notorious for having slightly unfinished fretwork (I had to dress the jagged edges on both sides of the fretboard) it's not surprising that one might find slight variation in fret heights. I'm planning to file frets 18-20 slightly with hopes of alleviating the problem. The rest of the neck plays like a dream and since I'm rarely above the 15th fret, this is not so much of a major issue. Like you, I tried several MIM's and found this condition to be common. I'll let you know how it goes and if you have any luck, with your J please let me know.

4. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    The bow in the neck is just about as good as you can get it. Looking down the neck it does appear that the fretboard is not perfectly even where I am having the problem, thus I am hoping the shaving of the frets will work. Raising the action more then it is not a option for me. Any higher and the bass would be unplayed for what I am used too. The funny thing is, the other MIM I tried when I went back to the store all had the right amount of bow in the neck and all had much higher action, yet they all buzzed or didn't produce a note in the same areas!

5. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    The only other quick and easy thing I can think of is try to reseat the neck. If there was a sloppy neck assembly, the g,d side of the neck may not be seated properly. this could raise the entire neck joint slightly and contribute to your problem.
    I would take the entire neck out, reseat it by hand with equal pressure, then tighten the screws. I have seen cases where just tightening the screws is not enough.
    I would at least try that before filing or cutting anything.
    Let us know what you find out.

6. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Well just got it back......WOW! This sucker plays like butter! The tech re-dressed the frets in the problem area (the last few frets on the neck) and now it is like a new, new bass. I was able to lower the action even more with no problems. Once my BadAss II arrives I will really be in business! Thumbs up for the Sam Ash people, they really took care of me. :bassist:

7. thinkvisual

thinkvisual

Feb 16, 2005
    Thanks for the update - I'm glad to hear that your bass is in top shape and I'll proceed with my plans to redress frets 18-20 on mine as well. These MIMs just seem to need a small bit of finishing up, that's all...