Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

standard jazz or american?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fubassist5882, Mar 11, 2004.

1. fubassist5882

fubassist5882

Mar 10, 2004
    Just how much better is Fender's American Jazz Bass than the Standard? Is it worth the extra money? I'm torn between the two and would appreciate an opinion or two. Thanks.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I really like the standard, they are an exceptional value. However the American series does have some advantages such as better pickups, better tuners, and I believe a reinforced neck. I think you should play both and let your ears, hands and heart decide for you.

Dan

3. I've always noticed the quality difference between the MIM and MIA "Standard" jazz basses, but the MIM's are definitely a lot better than they used to be. If money is an issue, get the MIM, they're great for the money. If an MIA isn't going to hurt you financially, I'd say get that. It's got everything Dan says, plus it won't lose as much value (proportionally). And yes, the MIAs have graphite-reinforced necks.

-Nick Park

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    A quick use of the search feature will give you plenty of reading material on this subject.

5. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    Fenders consistency is so iffy that you can find a Mexican made Fender that is better than a Custom Shop Fender. seriously...you have to really search through various Fenders and play them before buying them in order to find a good player. when you do find a good player they are great basses but in my experience that is one out of every ten or twenty Fender basses. I found a really nice American Series P Bass but that was after trying out 20 different P basses. this P Bass I found was better than 5 or 6 Custom Shop P's I played

your mileage may vary

6. fubassist5882

fubassist5882

Mar 10, 2004
    Thanks for your input everyone. It's helped a lot.

7. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    The new MIA also comes with the S-1 switch (more useful on the J than the P, from what I've heard). The MIA also comes with a case, straplocks, cable, cloth, etc.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I doubt a $300 MIM is even in the same ballpark as a $2000+ Custom Shop.

People who do not like Fenders would lead you to believe every single Fender is a flawed piece of junk, but I don't see it. With a good setup most basses will play fairly well. Also many compare more expensive basses like Sadowsky to MIA Fender, which is a comparision of apples to 4x more expensive oranges.

Yesterday I went to the biggest music store in Jackson and played every Fender Jazz they had MIM through MIA (about 15). Every one was decently setup and played great. The tone was good if you like a vintage sound and the S1 switch on the MIA's was very verstaile.

Maybe I got lucky and did not play a single lemon but i doubt it.

just my two cents.

9. Are the MIJ sig. basses hit or miss like how people discribe MIM basses?

10. The MIJ Marcus Miller sig I played easily rivaled the American Deluxe jazzes in build quality. It was an incredible deal for the money...I just wish I had the money to buy one. Now, from what I've heard, not all MIJ/CIJ Fender basses are like this. I can't speak from experience, though...only that I've played a MM sig and loved it. The quality was excellent.

-Nick Park

11. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Is the reinforced neck really useful?? and the tuners also? cos i'm about to buy a fender (don't know between US or mexican) and change the pickups to put ultra vintage dimarzio in it (actually sadowsky's pickups are dimarzio) and change also the preamp for a much better one with 3 band equalizer. I might also put a baddass in it...so.... i don't think a MIA will be useful. Are they using the same woods in the MIM than in the MIA?? If it's only for truss rods and tuners (that i can also change...). i like the look of this mexican fender (see picture attached).

12. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Just to add,... i also might get a BOSSA 4 strings instead...maybe it's even better than fender. Apparently it's a great bass.

13. That Mexican Fender you posted is the Classic 60s Jazz bass, which apparently is of surprising quality and consistency for a Mexican bass. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

14. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Shri, what jenderfazz said - twice. The graphite reinforced necks are worth the dollars simply because they don't need to be adjusted as often as a regular wood neck. Having said that, none of my basses have the graphite reinforcement and my regular wood necks have been fine. I just think it would be better to have it. I am unfamiliar with BOSSA so I can't comment on that brand.

Dan

15. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Yes it seems to be a great bass! And pretty cheap for the quality.

16. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Oh ok i didn't know that. thanks !! :D I've never had a reinforced neck either anyway and it's still ok, it doesn't move really.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Is a reinforced neck really useful if you don't live in a rapidly changing environment?

If you're going to mod it, I'd go Mexican. Considering you want to change the pickups and bridge of it, you're already eliminating two of the noticeable changes from MIM-MIA (leaving behind the tuners and unreinforced neck). That said, France isn't a very humid place, correct? It only snows in France a couple times a year, so I would assume the general moisture in the air is pretty low and the reinforced neck really wouldn't help much.

18. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    yes you're right! i'm not in a humid place, france is rather dry so i don't mind for the neck. I'm going to change most of the bass so yes i think a MIM one would be a much better choice. Thanks for the help ! ;)