1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Standard Jazz vs. Geddy Lee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sausageoysters, Apr 4, 2006.

1. sausageoysters

sausageoysters

Apr 2, 2006
    I was wondering if a geddy lee jazz is worth the price difference over a standard. I'm plannin on playing fingerstyle and slap, and have about a 1000$ budget for a bass. Any other suggestions would be appreciated too. Sorry if this is a repost, its hard to search for the geddy lees because you get a lot of stuff on the actual bassist.

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Geddy all the way! The maple fretboard is great for slap style....nice and snappy! Plus the BadAss bridge on the Geddy is a big plus. I would also look into the Classic 60's jazz. Not as snappy as the Geddy for slap, but great tone for finger style. I actually like the pickups better on the Classic. In either case, both are great basses for price.

3. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

i love my geddy! the pickups are a bit noisy, but i'm putting in dimarzio model j's :)

4. i've heard geddy's low end is kinda weak, dont know if thats good or bad but i could imagine its not a big deal for a slapper

5. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I had a Geddy for a while and liked it. The pick-ups were a bit quiet, but had a warm growl similar to an old Fender.

6. The neck on the Geddy Lee is incredibly polarizing. Definitely a try before you buy. Some people like the thin profile, others do not.

7. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I got my black ,thin neck Jazz yesterday(I hate calling it a Geddy). $613 at GC.You really have to play one because the neck is alot thinner than a regular Jazz ,which I also tried out.
    I really like mine.Yea ,it seems not to have the volume my other Jazz has(not too much) but it does have a great tone.

8. Geddy all the way.

9. One is not better than the other... they are different. Try playing both in a band situation - it's the only way you can tell what works best for YOU.

But I would say, if you are playing mostly slap, get the Geddy. If you play mostly fingerstyle, a rosewood/alder jazz bass is the way to go.

10. i really dont like the geddy lee jazz bass, i dont like jazzes to begin with but the neck on the geddy lee is WAY too thin for my liking. but i also like nice thin necks like old P's and new rics. it doesnt sound too bad but i'm just not a J bass guy.

But as someone mentioned before, the 60's classic jazz that i almost bought was much much nicer IMHO then the geddy. Looks a hell of alot nicer too.

11. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I dig my 60' classic jazz. IT's at the shop right now getting a lil work done. I dug the tone and feel of that bass right away, I loved the feel of the smaller frets and for me it did the meshell, jaco, and marcus tones to a T....and that's what I'm interested in (in a J).

I've been unimpressed by the gl basses, to be honest the neck wasn't even "too thin" it just didn't sound or play too great to me, nothing horrible but nothing exceptional. I actually am a fan of thin necks, slim jbass=good to me.

12. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    The Geddy Lee can get nice low traditional tone with proper Eq on the amp and using the neck pickup. Brighter than a rosewood fingerboard but still workable. I love the sizzle of those pickups. Nice and warm and kind of resonate as the string dies out.The slap tone is terrific and I like the thin neck(not as much as a regular Jazz neck, but still okay). Tonewise, I think it beats the American Standard, and the volume difference is minimal, based on a comparison I did today at G.C. I also was impressed with the Marcus Miller Bass. Somewhat heavier, but that translated somehow into a feeling of quality. It felt substantial, yeah, that's it, substantial.;) The tone was very impressive, both fingerstyle and slap,and volume was more than either the Geddy Lee or the Am. Standard.( active pre-amp) It really looks cool with its 70's style fingerboard and clear ash finish and even 3 screw neck plate(not necessarily an advantage). For $800.00 + it was a great deal. I think if I was to buy only one Jazz, it would be the Marcus Miller.