standard jazz

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Paolo, Feb 27, 2001.

1. I study the jazz but I have not many standard. Anyonne can give some standard or blues progressions ?

Thanks !
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Check out a jazz real or fake book. You should be able to find the lead charts to standards like "Autumn Leaves," "Blue Bossa," or "Take the A Train," etc.

Also, Mark Levine's "Jazz Theory" is a great book that discusses common changes. It surely couldn't hurt to check out books in the Jamey Aebersold series.

Also, ask your teacher for recommendations.
  3. No, a Real Book is too expensive for me ! Anyone can send me standard or blues ?

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Free lessons in jazz at:

Click on Lessons. Then you'll get a list of music styles. Click on Jazz. There will be many songs and lessons you can choose that will have suggestions.

Here's another idea.

Start working on the most common chord progression in jazz. Learn to play it and recognize it in every key.

II V I.

In a major key, the II chord is a minor 7, the V chord is a seventh chord and the I, of course, is major.

For starters, study these, then figure out the rest.

II V I

Dm7 G7 C

Am7 D7 G

Em7 A7 D

Bm7 E7 A , etc.

Work through that in every key, then try out this very common jazz chord progression(in every key.)

I VI7 II7 V7

Take your time. There is absolutely no hurry. These things take time, but are worth the time.

5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Uh, shouldn't that be Jason & The Argonauts?
    Jason, I think Ed's sayin' a lower case numeral(ii, iii, etc)denotes a minor.

In any event-
    ...KUNGFUQUA'd! :D
  6. Boplicity

I've got some "'splainin' " to do. I've been working my way through Earl Gately's book "Mel Bay's Complete Jazz Bass Book." In that book, he uses all caps for the Roman numerals, regardless of major or minor, then explains whether the chords are major or minor.

Well, I did that in my description of the II V I, above. But when I got to the I VI7 II7 V7, I didn't break it down, because AOl always cuts me off and I got in a hurry (Like I am now.)

I know other books do use the lower caps for minor chords, so such books would say:
    I vi7 ii7 V7

Actually, truth be known, I prefer that method too, as one instantly knows without having to first "think" about which chords are major or minor.

I checked another Mel Bay book, "Deluxe Jazz and Bass Method" by Vincent Bredice. He also uses the all caps for the Roman numerals. So I'm guessing that it may be a Mel Bay style rule. I have a Hal Leonard book, "Playing Chord Progressions" by Joff Jones. That book uses the caps for major chords and lower case for minor.

I guess the chords can be written both ways just as the names of the chords can be written a few different ways too, and the writer or publisher of the book has the final say.

But I did shortchange Paolo by not explaining that the ii7 and the vi7 are minor. Sorry, Paolo. But we are lucky to have alert posters here who catch shortcomings in posts. Mea culpa; mea maxima culpa.

7. Boplicity

Jim K...yes...Jason and the Argonauts. But you know what? I'm thinking about changing my screen name. Jason Oldsted kind of. It doesn't really reflect my tastes much anymore anyway. I listen to metal, but not nearly as much as ten years ago. My tastes are a lot more eclectic than metal now.

I'm favoring Super Locrian for a name, but if I change Jason Oldsted, I lose my count of posts. For some reason that is important. It didn't used to be, but once one goes over five hundred, well it denotes a certain senority like a blac belt or or a colonel's bird insignia. So I'm too selfish to give that up.

"What's in a name...etc." It doesn't matter once you have been "Fuqua-ed". Then you are a true veteran of TalkBass.

8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I've never understood the JasonOldsted screen name; I mean, for quite awhile I thought you were a guy(& I thought ~Loxley~ was a girl). :D
  9. Boplicity

I had a male's screen name for security. I've read several places that women should not use screen names that indicate that they are women or print profiles that give geographic location, age or other proprietary information. I didn't reveal my gender for about six months here until I felt comfortable that no one was here for other than music. I still kind of wish I hadn't because whether I am male or female shouldn't make much difference in what is said here anyway.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Well, jeez, JO, I wrote you an email, what?...the other day....thought you were a guy. doh! sorry...

looks like me and Yvon are going to be sharing the duties around here.....
  11. I had really good luck working through an older Earl Gately book "Studies for Studio and Stage Band" and it was a kind of primer for me. Some of the lessons will also be quite helpful if a teacher isn't available but there really isn't a sustitiute for studying with a teacher.

Ed F isn't this a Bass Guitar forum, not that you aren't welcome, but you are quick to chide those foolish enough to drift to the side of the "Big Space" realm.
  12. Well, Paolo, if you can find a piano player who will tolerate you learning on the job (maybe you could offer to play free), just look over his shoulder and wing it every night. I did that for a long time, actually the guy opened the book to a tune, then segued from one tune to another for the rest of the set without turning a page, and he'd tell me the changes during the intro and head and I'd better remember them for the rest of the tune. Lots of thrilling moments, but I learned fast, maybe it was the extra adrenaline.